News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

French Tolls

Started by Chris Canning, July 05, 2012, 10:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Only got told about this a couple of days ago,hopefully it comes in the post before we go,we've a pretty good system when diving into the toll booths,wife has some money in a pouch she can get at,but this will be even quicker and easier,and a better exchange rate!!

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/what-is-liber-t

Sin_Tiger

Had a similar system in Singapore for many years now. Even bikes have a fag packet sized box that you slot a prepaid credit card into. Every time you go under an overhead barrier, no speed or separation limitation, the applicable amount gets deducted. Works in most car parks too, the latest ones can also be used in McDonalds, Starbucks and a few others, can also be used on the underground and buses. Living in a very regulated society and a small island does have some advantages.

Interested to heart how you get on with that.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

vince

just make sure you go through the manual/attendant opperated lane or you get charged as a car :(
as i go several times a year thinking of getting one for myself so keep us informed  :roll:
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

Chris Canning

Thats what the clues say,but it's still got be better than messing about with money when it's pissing down,in actual fact if we go into a toll I'll go anywhere except behind a solo bike because then it does get annoying when their fannying about  :twisted:

vince

Quotewhen it's pissing down,in actual fact if we go into a toll I'll go anywhere except behind a solo bike because then it does get annoying when their fannying about
sounds like were of like minds  get wifey to pay :lol:  :lol:
still had a bad experience at a toll  this year  :cry:
pulled up to booth to pay  not a person in sight as a lot of the tolls this year seem to be unmanned the auto reader tried to charge us for a car not bike in the end  they had to send an attendant out to sort if out apparently in heavy rain sometimes the traffic sensors cannot distinguish between either a small car or bike the queue behind me was horrendous
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

Bixxer Bob

Leading a group of 12 bikes into the tolls on the QE2 bridge, which is free for bikes, the traffic was horrendous but I saw a short queue and went for it. The others followed. Then I realised it was an auto lane, no bikes allowed. car drivers were going spare at the holdup we were causing before a furious attendant came out, gave me a ragging and then let us all through. :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

robxxxx

Quote....sometimes the traffic sensors cannot distinguish between either a small car or bike the queue behind me was horrendous

.....or in our case, a lorry. Her on the back had to stand up on the pegs to reach it.

Chris Canning

Well I have to report untill the bank statement turns up we won't know the real score as to how much we have been charged.

The down side manual toll booths are all but extinct,we only came across two,everything else is either auto or auto but manually operated and f me what a game that is with a queue behind you,I only say that while wondering how the hell it worked the barrier would go up as it sensed our transponder that they supply and off we went!!!

The info states that handing it in with a ticket you'll get charged for a bike,but with no manual tolls that doesn't happen,my other half seems to to think the bikes and cars are the same,so we'll see,but regardless does say a lot of messing about when you have the job sorted,just maybe  a tad more expensive,I have to say without it,would be a real nightmare.

NKL

I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

blacktiger

Quote from: "vince"just make sure you go through the manual/attendant opperated lane or you get charged as a car :(

Problem with that is that a lot of them are automatic with no staff. They do take a credit/debit card though so can be very quick if you keep the card handy.
Having said that, I'm with NKL in that I try my hardest to avoid the boredom. But admit that they are useful if you need to get across the country fast.
Also, with what it says there's not really any advantage......

Motorcycle
Motorcycle with sidecar
Tricycle
Please note: The use of a Liber-t tag on a motorcycle is somewhat restricted.  In order to be charged at the Class 5 rate, you must use the manual lane and hand your tag over to the operator to be scanned.  You will be billed as normal.  This is still better than fumbling for cash or payment card with gloves on.  If you do use the automated lane, however you will be charged at the Class 1 rate.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Chris Canning

As I said manual tolls are all but extinct,the cough!! manual/auto take some working out, even more so when your underpressure with a queue behind getting irate,if we are heading into a toll avoid the one with the lone biker cuz he'll be fannying about getting gloves off, wallet out were's my ticket :roll:  etc.

What we couldn't work out even without the new transponder,is how the hell do they work out you are on a bike with the manual/auto toll,a ticket is a ticket,and if you can select bike,car drivers will do the same!!!

We couldn't make out if bikes are charged the same as cars,and if thats the case in future I'd just blast through the Tele Peage which really will be a time saver.

As for not doing tolls,there isn't anything I don't do  :wink:

SherryBurke

I think you should pulled up to booth to pay not a person in sight as a lot of the tolls this year seem to be unmanned the auto reader tried to charge us for a car not bike in the end they had to send an attendant out to sort if out apparently in heavy rain sometimes the traffic sensors cannot distinguish between either a small car or bike the queue behind me was horrendous.
Sherry Burke

Bixxer Bob

Long queues behind?  I am more laid back about them these days.  It's not my fault they chose to line up behind a bike, so while they wait they're getting educated :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...