News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Compatible speedo drives

Started by Me_Rock, July 11, 2012, 07:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Me_Rock

Howdy folks!

My '96 Tiger has been performing well after replacing the engine... I've put around 1000 miles on her so far.

Anyway, the spinny bit inside of my speedo drive unit that turns the speedo cable has been broken off and doesn't have enough meat to stay properly meshed with the cable. Are there any drive units from similar Triumphs that fit? I've been checking eBay daily for a while, and thus far no Tiger-specific units have appeared.

As a temporary solution, I've attached a simple bicycle speedometer, but that goes all wonky past about 70 MPH. As a bonus, it also keeps track of how many calories I have burned from riding! I burn about 2000 calories every time I ride to work!

Thanks!

Mustang

tiger is the only one all the others spin the other way (made for right side of wheel)

so what motor are you using and what was the outcome of your cooling issue ?

rybes

if you use a speedmaster speedo cable n get the tyre turned round on the rim so the cable is on the right side thatll get ya out of trouble. im now doin the exact same cable on mine as ive put three spokes on. ill let ya know if the cable fits proper when i get it
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Me_Rock

Quote from: "Mustang"tiger is the only one all the others spin the other way (made for right side of wheel)

so what motor are you using and what was the outcome of your cooling issue ?

I'm using the original engine that the bike was born with. The reason behind the engine swap was a long story, but long story short there's nothing wrong with the original. The cooling issue is solved, and she's a daily rider now! Now I'm just sorting out all of the minor things.

On my to-do list is:

Fix or replace speedo sending unit
Correct shifter linkage (Currently is 1 up 5 down)
Replace sprockets and chain
Replace chain rub block
New sprocket cover gasket

Thanks!

pegleg

I have a Tiger drive left over from my 3 spoke conversion.
Have you got a picture of your gear linkage?
You might just have to flip the lever on the splined shaft.
The Tiger shift drum is opposite to the other Triples of that era.

Me_Rock

Quote from: "pegleg"I have a Tiger drive left over from my 3 spoke conversion.
Have you got a picture of your gear linkage?
You might just have to flip the lever on the splined shaft.
The Tiger shift drum is opposite to the other Triples of that era.

I'd love to take that off your hands! How much do you want for it?

As far as the shifting linkage, I just need to reverse what the previous owner did to correct it. I've just been too busy riding to find the time to fix it!