News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Which valves should I re-shim?

Started by biodegraded, August 04, 2012, 05:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biodegraded

Below is the worksheet of my Steamer's valve clearances. I have ideas of which I should change, probably all of them except #3 intake, but I'm interested in what others think.

I don't have metric feeler gauges, so measurements are in inches. The gauges are in 1 thou increments. Entries with (L) means the gauge met no resistance but the next thickness up would not fit. (T) means it barely fit and significant resistance was met.

Question: is there any reason I can't just take off the races and remove the cams to get at the shims?

Cheers,
Keith

Mustang

personally .......
I wouldn't bother shimming any of them they are all in spec.

save it for next time , at 17xxx miles they are golden at around 28xxx you might have a tight intake or two .

they really don't usually require attention until at least 25 k .

and yes you can pull the cams , the only tricky part is to make sure you are not one tooth off on the intake cam .
oh and the cam caps are marked and must be reassembled the same way they came apart .

biodegraded

Okie dokie, I'll leave 'em alone and button it back up. Thanks for the reply.