News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer vibration

Started by tigertd5, August 12, 2012, 03:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigertd5

Hello everyone just register for this forum even though i have been using your knowledge for about a year. That was when i got my second tiger my first was a 2000 in carousel green(The wife hated this as i swapped it for a thundercat). I have now got a 1996 in blue. It had a few problems mostly down to carbs. I have slowly sorted the problems through trail and error. I was out on it this morning and it now seems to have a worrying vibration it seem to do it at high revs in 3 and 4 gear but not 6th when running at the same speeds  as 4th with high revs. I would say it felt possible gearbox bearing if so any i dear witch one. I am no expert so any ideas welcome
I\'m no mechanic i just make it up as i go along

rf9rider

Check your chain tension is correct, if thats ok, check your front sprocket, they can become loose, then go from there.

And check the chain rub block, these have a habit of wearing down to the metal.

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of the Steamer!  :)

GatorTiger

2nd on the chain tension!! My '94 steamer has "the shakes" as well between 2k and 2.5k RPM if the chain gets too loose. Check for the RPMs that your's comes up in...

Also check the spark plugs. If the gaps between them are uneven that will amplify the shaking if they create some kind of harmonic vibration...

Everything past that might get expensive....

Cheers,
HG
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

tigertd5

Thanks for the tips i will get them check as soon as i get chance and let you know if i need more ideas.
cheers
I\'m no mechanic i just make it up as i go along