News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New guy with some questions

Started by totomojo, August 15, 2012, 04:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

totomojo

Hi.  Just joined the site.  Let me introduce myself.  I live in the Pac NW.  I just bought a 2006 Tiger with a little under 7K miles.  Have been thinking about one for some time and this seemed like a good deal.  Aftermarket can, Rich's seat, heated grips.  

It has had a low speed drop so there was "cosmetic" damage on the fairing, front fender, tank and R/H bag (toast).  I missed it on the test ride (don't ask me how... I don't know) but front rotors are toast too.  Doesn't seem right for such low miles but a Triumph tech said they had issues with rotors with hard and soft spots in the metal so they wore unevenly (thick and thin spots).  They are not warped.  Checked that.  Anyway... brake job time.

I had a couple of question that a few searches didn't answer.

One: the tank damage.  Looks to me like a slide more than a hit.  It's a spot about 4 inch in diameter.  A independant mechanic told be this would be a problem in a year or two because heating/cooling will cause the fiber plies to separate and start leaking.  Based on my work life I would assume the composite engineers would reinforce inpact areas on the tank.  It does not leak now.  Any thoughts or experience on this?

Two:  I may replace the R/H bag with a stock bag, or I may go aftermarket, like Touratech.  I'd also like to get engine guards and maybe some other bits.  I've done some web searches and checked our Ebay, and do not turn up much.  Are there any sources you would suggest for parts other than the dealer?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Toto