News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Arg! New tune, bike stalls

Started by BP_LONDON, February 01, 2005, 08:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BP_LONDON

Bike had been pulling strong and consistent even since I bought it. Took the bike in today for a service, they put a new tune in and now the bike is stalling in traffic every now and then :evil: - it seemsto stall when I'm riding on low revs in a low gear.

Anyone else experience stalling with a new tune? I'll have to phone them tomorrow to figure out what the problem is. At least the bike feels more powerful and responsive after the service/tune - I just hope I can get the stalling issue resolved.

GlenWatt

I've just had the 10121 tune loaded after putting the Triumph Off-Road can on.

The bike runs great except below 2K where it is really unhappy.

As it hasn't stalled yet I know it is not the same issues, but just wondering if they could be related by this newer tune ?
Glen

Email - mailto:glen@watt.me.uk\">glen@watt.me.uk  

\"The Aussies call us Boring... we prefer World Champions\"

abell

It sounds like it's probably the CO levels rather than the tune that was downloaded - which also requires dealer intervention so I'm splitting hairs really.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

abell

Oh and could this possibly also be related to the O2 sensor bypass issue/mod upon which much has already been written by others?
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

davensocal

I just got a new tune put in last week, not sure what the tune number was, I will try to find out..  This is on a '00 885i with the offroad cans..

Bike runs great, except for some surging around 3-3.5K RPM ..  Normally this happens when it is not under load, it is usually a throttle setting I use to only maintain speed in residential areas.  

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to go over the usual suspects yet..

BP_LONDON

The bike performance is up by about 10-20% after the tune and service, and I am more than happy with performance across the board, it's just the unexpected stalls at low revs that makes it pretty much useless as a commuter right now...4 engine stalls into work this morning!

Got it booked in again on the 12th, so I'm pretty confident they'll be able to sort her out...

Is it ticking over too slowly? Should be around 1100rpm.

BP_LONDON

It ticks over on 1100 in general, but If I ride through traffic slowly, and use little bits of throttle here and there the tick over time drops to half that, then sometimes the engine just stalls....it WILL stall if I open the throttle abruptly at those low revs - which is followed by a strong smell of unburned fuel (from the exhaust area)

T_Phil

Quote from: "BP_LONDON"Got it booked in again on the 12th, so I'm pretty confident they'll be able to sort her out...

Hi,

Just wondering, did you get your bike back yet and was the problem fixed?

Phil

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "T_Phil"
Quote from: "BP_LONDON"Got it booked in again on the 12th, so I'm pretty confident they'll be able to sort her out...

Hi,

Just wondering, did you get your bike back yet and was the problem fixed?

Phil

Took the bike in, they said they could not really do anything on the day as it would involve removing the tank and then tweaking out things...they could put in the old tune so the bike would behave as before, but I prefer having the new tune with improved performance. I've learned to adapt my riding style so that the stallls will not occur so regularly anymore. The bike seems quite ok, and the problem seems to hav become less severe...it only stalled once this weekend. Almost as if the engine and it's related sensors are getting used to the new tune...

GlenWatt

I seem to now be having almost an opposite problem...

With the weather turning a bit colder this week here in London.

My bike seems to want to now run away at lower revs, in slow traffic.

Almost as if the fast idle / choke were coming on.

The revs also seem quite slow to drop to idle.

Any ideas?

I have had the tune reloaded and the throttle closed position reset to see if this helps out.
Glen

Email - mailto:glen@watt.me.uk\">glen@watt.me.uk  

\"The Aussies call us Boring... we prefer World Champions\"

Dick Boyer

Try getting your injectors synd. Worked on my 04.

T_Phil

Quote from: "GlenWatt"With the weather turning a bit colder this week here in London.

My bike seems to want to now run away at lower revs, in slow traffic.

Almost as if the fast idle / choke were coming on.

The revs also seem quite slow to drop to idle.

Any ideas?

I have had the tune reloaded and the throttle closed position reset to see if this helps out.

Looks like you got a temperature sensitive component somewhere.

NortonCharlie

Are you sure you have some free play in the throttle cable?  If it is to tight it could be affecting your closed idle setting and change with temperature.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

PeterO

These are the same symptoms I first took delivery of my '05 last year.

It was so bad I took it back to the shop after acouple of days as it was also  almost impossible to start the engine when it was already warm.

Luckily I was able to leave it with them for two weeks while I went away.  While I was away they got a complete new ignition unit from Triumph (not just a new tune !) with "some different numbers in it".  Since then it's been fine but I'm not sure what's going to happen if/when they try to install a new tune.

Peter