News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bay Area Steamers?

Started by JetdocX, August 23, 2012, 07:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

So I think the problem is with the magic box.  Anyone know which years and models of Triumph take this box?

I see Daytona igniters on Ebay, but I think the timing and rev limits are different.
From parts unknown.

FoothillRyder

Not absolutely certain; but I believe the '97-'98 Daytona and Speed Triple are injected as well, so the ECU box will definitely be different. Trophy is carb'd; but shares cams and ignition stuff with the Daytona/S3. You should confirm; but I think the other 'lower tune' triples should be the same (Trident, Thunderbird, Adventurer, etc.).
- FoothillRyder

'97 Trophy 3, '98 Tiger, '96 Sprint
AMA 289558, COP# 0001, BIR# 47
www.foothillryder.com

Mustang

Quote from: FoothillRyder on September 09, 2012, 05:50:53 PM
Not absolutely certain; but I believe the '97-'98 Daytona and Speed Triple are injected as well, so the ECU box will definitely be different. Trophy is carb'd; but shares cams and ignition stuff with the Daytona/S3. You should confirm; but I think the other 'lower tune' triples should be the same (Trident, Thunderbird, Adventurer, etc.).
nope ...........only a tiger igniter from 1995-1998 is the same , the others will work but your engine will not have the same parameters anymore . It may or may not affect how the carb'd tigger runs.
IE timing ,rev limiter rpm , dwell ,advance curve etc .

get in touch with Ignitech  , they are a Czech company .they have a replace ment for bikes that will prove to be a lot cheaper
there was talk before on t-rat of them providing replacement igniters for triumphs .
and on the upside I think they are programmable with software for engine parameter tweaking

http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

i think they might have one for a tigger.........................couple hundred vs. $750+ from triumph

Mustang

HE'S seen it , too pricey for his liking

JetdocX

I no longer own this bike.  It lives with it's new owner in the Chi-town area.  Thanks all. :wave
From parts unknown.

aeronca

Quote from: JetdocX on October 05, 2012, 09:01:21 PM
I no longer own this bike.  It lives with it's new owner in the Chi-town area.  Thanks all. :wave

WHAT?????????  FREAKIN QUITTER :pottytrain2   p.m. sent.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Bob Tosi

Quote from: aeronca on October 13, 2012, 06:31:55 AM
Quote from: JetdocX on October 05, 2012, 09:01:21 PM

WHAT?????????  FREAKIN QUITTER :pottytrain2   p.m. sent.

rotflmao! :pottytrain2
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

threepot

I spoke to Gill (manufacturers) a while ago about my igniter. Seems Triumph dont allow them to test/repair them(I wonder why). Anyway,they told me the internals of the igniter very seldom go wrong,but to check outlet cables from box,thats where problems usually arise from.Said anyone with good electronic knowledge could probably check? Probably have to take top off. Worth a look?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

Gill was feeding you a line of :Topes...............the igniters can and do fail , just like their pc of shit coils . I think Lucas must be part owner in the company  :ImaPoser :ImaPoser

threepot

Maybe so. Why didnt Triumph use Jap electronics early on? They use Jap stuff with other parts?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

JetdocX

Quote from: threepot on February 11, 2013, 05:01:58 PM
I spoke to Gill (manufacturers) a while ago about my igniter. Seems Triumph dont allow them to test/repair them(I wonder why). Anyway,they told me the internals of the igniter very seldom go wrong,but to check outlet cables from box,thats where problems usually arise from.Said anyone with good electronic knowledge could probably check? Probably have to take top off. Worth a look?

I did spend a long time with a multi-meter looking at other causes and fixed a few of what I thought could be potential problems.  It came down to eliminating everything else but the box.  I'm no quitter, but $800 for that?  Fucking hell.  For a bike that I didn't even like to ride anymore?  Why?
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Noticed you've been a lot quieter since you got your XC  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

cr8297

The latest on the Tigger from Chi Town. Igniter was ok but the Side stand switch needed replacement along with the2 of the Carbs. Replaced all three she now runs like she should. Unfortunately I have to have a friend do the test riding as I have been in a cast since October last year. Looking forward to getting the old girl out next month when it comes off. I figured using the rear brake will do for physical therapy.
98 Steamer Living with us in our Barn. I will get it fixed one day. 02 F650GS Dakar works always