News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bay Area Steamers?

Started by JetdocX, August 23, 2012, 07:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

I've got this problem with the way my 98 runs.  I've been searching for the cause for the last year or so.  I've done all I can think of and so far stymied.

Is there anyone within a couple hours of here that would consider loaning me their igniter box for a week or less?  I'm at a dead end and the igniter is the last item I can think of.  I don't want to buy one new because I'm not 100% sure that this is the problem and Triumph wants a metric f$ck-ton of money for a new one.

In the meantime I'll pull the carbs back off and see if there is something in there I missed the last three times I had them off. :BangHead

I just need to plug it in and try it.  Anyone?
From parts unknown.

FoothillRyder

Can you be more specific about the problem?
- FoothillRyder

'97 Trophy 3, '98 Tiger, '96 Sprint
AMA 289558, COP# 0001, BIR# 47
www.foothillryder.com

JetdocX

It's a long, sad, mostly boring story.

Started missing following some valve re-shimming.  Happens to random cylinders, throughout the rev range.  Carbs off, disassembled four times (once I clean them once more), new plugs, new wires, new ignition trigger.  Repaired dodgy connection in the sidestand circuit that made it about 50% better.  Ran all the rest of the wiring down within the ignition circuit to the box.  Found ground wire and two coil wires rubbing on a bracket near the igniter connector.  No real damage there, but may have been getting some intermittant contact and grounding out one or more of the coils.  Swapped out the coils with the original ones (I have Nology coils in there now).  The problem is not with the same cylinder.  The spark plugs look identical.  So somehow the bike is dropping random cylinders on me making this really hard to chase.

Needless to say, I'm pretty frustrated and tired of taking this thing apart and putting it back together again without finally ending this.  I think I need to try out an igniter.  But I don't want to buy a new one just to find out the problem is elsewhere. 

If you have any better ideas, I'm all ears at this point.
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

:waveJust bought a SW ticket.  I'll be there shortly to kick you in the nuts. :pottytrain2
From parts unknown.

FoothillRyder

Essentially this can't be anything other than the Igniter/ECU or something connected to it. If it is truly random in nature with respect to cylinder, revs, throttle, etc., there's no other answer that makes any sense at all. Were it my bike I'd just buy one.
- FoothillRyder

'97 Trophy 3, '98 Tiger, '96 Sprint
AMA 289558, COP# 0001, BIR# 47
www.foothillryder.com

JetdocX

I'm selling this bike.  I don't want to spend $650 more bucks on it when I'm completely eating the cost of suspension upgrades/ cylinder head repair in the sell price.  Especially when I'm not 100% certain it's the problem.  I'm looking for a used igniter.  There's one in the UK but it's from a Daytona.  Love to try that one out!
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

So let's try this the other way...who would like to try my igniter box on their bike?  I can mail it to you.  You try it out.  If the problem follows my unit, I know it's kacked.
From parts unknown.

abruzzi

I'm visiting the Bay Area in October for an extended weekend.  If you are still trying to figure it out be then, I can possible pull mine and bring it.

Geof

London_Phil

Mustang

Quote from: JetdocX on August 27, 2012, 10:16:50 PM
So let's try this the other way...who would like to try my igniter box on their bike?  I can mail it to you.  You try it out.  If the problem follows my unit, I know it's kacked.
send it , I'll try it in all four and see what it does ....................

two with nologys and one with Gills and one with pvl's
but have you ever checked the plug caps where the little spring is to clip on the threaded plug top .
When those go tits up it misfires pretty good , randomly.

JetdocX

I saw that thread, Mustang.  New plug wires.  Total waste of money.  Mustang, I'd love to take you up on that.  PM me your address.  We'll see if anyone closer wants to take part in my experiment.

London_Phil, generous offer for sure, but I'd rather keep it in the country.  Greedy customs officials, you know.  If you find yourself in my neighborhood, I'll buy the suds.
From parts unknown.

Bob Tosi

Hey dude I'm pm'd you with my phn number and email
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

JetdocX

Sorry, Bob.  Got called to LIT for work for the last two days.

If you're unsure about any of this I can ship it to Mustang.  No problem as I'll be in Hawaii for a week starting Friday.
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

My magic box is headed to Chico.  Thanks, Bob! :eusa_clap
From parts unknown.