News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steering head bearings

Started by Slowmow, September 05, 2012, 09:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowmow

Good day,

I have replaced the steering head bearings on my Tiger, with the bearings mentioned some where else here on the form
Top 6205ddunr
bottom 32006jrrs

The top replacement bearing didn't had the snap ring as the original one. To made up the "space" lost I inserted washers to the top of the bearing underneath the nut that tensions the steering head. I tension it as much as I could.

The problem I have now is that when I lift the front wheel from the ground there is ± 10mm play at the end of the forks. I've retention the steering bearings even tighter (steering still turns smoothly side to side without much resistance) and the play still exists. I have checked and the play is still at the steering head bottom bearing.

Any ideas why there is play?
2005 Tiger 955i Owner

2008 KLR650

Mustang

because you dont have the correct bearing ....you need the snap ring to stop the play,
You've got nothing for the outer race of the top bearing to seat against .

The only way to fix it is to use the correct bearing , period .