News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Got myself a tiger!

Started by Broon, September 11, 2012, 02:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broon

Well, I picked up myself a second hand tiger this weekend, an 885i 2000 model, dark blue.

It's got a few things needing done to it to get it looking and riding better, but I'll get there in time!

Rode it home on Saturday morning and I was very happy with the way it performed, my last big bike was a Kawasaki 550, and I can certainly notice the difference in this bike and it suits my riding style a lot more, with a more up-right riding position and taller frame, it's ideal!

The bad bits - The back brake is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, the guy said the pads need renewed, so hopefully that's all it is.

When pushing the bike with the engine off, there's a scraping noise coming from the rear while, as it the break is on, so I'm wondering if the rear disc is warped perhaps, but it seems to disappear with the engine is on? :S

There's a plug hangin out the side of the bike, the guy that had the bike doesn't know what it was for, but suspects it was for diagnostics, but I can't be sure.

Tank is scratched from a drop, but I think I'm going to get this vinyl wrapped anyway, so this doesn't really bother me.

He had mentioned that the bike sometimes cuts out when stationary, generally in colder weather, he said he thinks it's because dirt gets into the side stand coil and cuts off the engine, but I can't be sure as it hasn't happened to me yet ... :S

Anyway, getting a mechanic to have a look at it tonight and I'll let you know how it goes, hopefully there isn't too much wrong with it :(

Cheers,
Broon

BigDan

Best of luck! Welcome to the grin factor
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Bixxer Bob

The scraping noise and the ineffective back brake point to the pads being down to the metal. Need doing straight away or you'll knacker the disc (if it isn't already).  Socket hanging out of the side is probably the California socket. If it's brown, just tape it out of the way - it doesn't do anything. If you search the Girly forum you'll find threads about this with pictures.

The cutting out when stationary is also common and points to the idle needing a setup (IACV tubes, throttle body balance etc etc).  It's not hard but it needs knowledge so, until it either becomes an issue or you get to know her a little better, just ignore it for now.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Back brake could also be seized caliper pins..dont ask how I know..

Socket could also be for an optimate, got mine hanging down by the side panel.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour