News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Another man gone

Started by Bixxer Bob, November 06, 2012, 03:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Happened yesterday morning. 

Andy Ford, one of the three adults that help Tony and me run the local young bikers club, died as a result of head injuries after his bike left the road on a bend near Norwich.  No other vehicle was involved.  Police do not yet know why. 

Andy was 47 yrs old; he was a good man and a careful rider. He rode an old 600 Bandit which he maintained in excellent condition, I balanced the carbs for him not so long ago.  He was always cheerful with a cheeky grin; I don't think I ever saw him down about anything.

He'll be missed.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

aeronca

Thats a bummer man.  sorry for the loss.     eric.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Geoff W

Very sorry to hear about your friend. Plenty of mud on rural roads this time of year, a friend of mine went down recently, but came out unscathed. So often it is the good ones who go down.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

birddogone

Bob, Sorry to hear about your Buddy....
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

Bixxer Bob

Thanks guys.  He was the third in less than 18 months.

It makes you wonder, just for a moment, whether you want to risk putting your family and friends through this by keeping on riding. 

On the one hand, you find out why it happened and make damn sure you learn from it.  But on the other, like when my throttle jammed and I really thought for an instant it was my turn, you realise that some things are simply beyond your control.

Then you get back in the saddle and ride (if a little more carefully for a mile or two).

The funeral should be a good do. :friday
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Really sorry to hear the bad news mate.
It is a sad time that over the years has happened to many absent mates and the only thing that makes a difference and the pain easier to handle is the fact that they would want you to carry on doing one of the few things that brings a meaning to life and why we are here chatting and at their time of passing were doing the exact same thing.

Ride Free.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Nick Calne

Sorry to hear this, Bob.

I've lost a few mates to this sort of thing and I know how you feel.

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Moorso

Very sad news Bob.
Genuinely sorry to hear it.
Author of 'Valhalla and the Fjord'
Currently editing my second book: 'Hibernia - Journals from a Motorcycle'

Columnist for Motorcycle Explorer Magazine and Ulster Grand Prix

Even as a grown man, I still don't know what I want to do - trying to become Ted Simon!!

2013 Triumph Explorer

kraftykarper

Sad news Bob, realy sorry to read this.

I think we all know this could happen to any of us, but when we're on the bikes we know why we do this. When we are riding the buzz is adictive, and we just cant wait till the next ride.

I agree, we could all learn by knowing why some accidents happen, but so often you read about the accident, but never get to find out why. It might have been a health problem no one knew about, you know, a heart attack or something like that. Or wildlife.

All we can do is ride as safely, and defensivly as we can, and keep on enjoying the bikes.

Take care all.

Bixxer Bob

After meeting his family, speaking to workmates and reviewing the crash site, I started to pick up on some small details which the police are not necessarily aware of.  I passed the information on and they want to talk to me.  I await their call.  If and when it's appropriate I'll expand on what I believe happened. 

What I can say for now is that Andy was negotiating a right hand bend with which he was familiar as he rode it most days.  On the apex of the bend there is a left turn forming an oblique "Y" junction.  Andy's options were to negotiate the bend or turn left.  Either would require roughly the same approach speed.  He did neither.  He continued almost in a straight line, hit a 12" high wet, soft earth and grass verge at 90 deg, roughly in the middle of the options.  He and the bike got airborne, went through the join between two chevron signs damaging one of them, narrowly missed a telegraph pole on the left and landed about 6ft below road level where his front wheel impacted the far side of a ditch.  It appears the bike stopped there but he landed a further 10-15yds on in a field.  A passer-by called the emergency services and he was taken to hospital by air ambulance where he later died of head injuries.  Why he didn't negotiate the bend is open to question but for now, please don't debate it here.  THere'll be time onvce the Coroner has made his report.

Chris Canning

I think anyone that has ridden a bike for any length of time has been though this synario,me included,the last saturday before christmas my wife and I go and visit the parents of a mate of mine who was killed 30 years ago,we don't phone they just know we'll turn up,they have a large photo of him on the wall,and it's pretty strange when I see it, he hasn't changed and I'm now and old man.

Yes I was affected,even more so because he could ride a bike as well as me,but it's the nature of the beast with biking,I've just put the phone down on a mate asking about his partner,how is she I ask 'They given her 2 months if she's lucky' he says she has the dreaded C.

Worried about riding a bike??,no more than I was when I was a kid,I'm more worried about my prostrate  :wave

Bixxer Bob

Thoughts about Prostate (no "R") are close to the surface for any bloke our age or thereabouts... :thumbsup

Chris Canning

Just lots of P's when you have a dodgy one .

Bixxer Bob