News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Old fuel, gummed carbs etc

Started by Bixxer Bob, December 18, 2012, 10:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Started work on the Guzzi Le Mans Mk1 yesterday.  It's been standing with old fuel in the tank and carbs for at least three years.  The old battery, the size of one from a small car (Guzzi obviously weren't taking any chances) was knackered so fitted a new one.  Opened the fuel tap, lifted the choke levers (one on each carb) hit the starter, three cranks and up she fired!!  Afte just a little coaxing with the throttle, she picked up, cleared her lungs and roared.  A lot of brown smoke to start with but she soon cleared out and runs nicely.  So much for old fuel woes,  you can't beat tractor engineering!! :hat10

Charging circuit is knackered though, need to start fault-finding....

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Still have a soft spot for Guzzis, had a Spada 1000 for a bit it was fabby. Still tempted to try a Cali for the summer.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

iansoady

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 18, 2012, 10:12:26 AM
The old battery, the size of one from a small car (Guzzi obviously weren't taking any chances) was knackered so fitted a new one.

Just wondering if you followed the advice in your recent post and fitted a Motobatt?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Started work on the Guzzi Le Mans Mk1 yesterday.  It's been standing with old fuel in the tank and carbs for at least three years.  The old battery, the size of one from a small car (Guzzi obviously weren't taking any chances) was knackered so fitted a new one.  Opened the fuel tap, lifted the choke levers (one on each carb) hit the starter, three cranks and up she fired!!  Afte just a little coaxing with the throttle, she picked up, cleared her lungs and roared.  A lot of brown smoke to start with but she soon cleared out and runs nicely.  So much for old fuel woes,  you can't beat tractor engineering!! :hat10

Charging circuit is knackered though, need to start fault-finding....

Probably still full of 4 star instead of the crap they sell now!!.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: iansoady on December 18, 2012, 03:27:12 PM
The old battery, the size of one from a small car (Guzzi obviously weren't taking any chances) was knackered so fitted a new one.

Just wondering if you followed the advice in your recent post and fitted a Motobatt?

Nah,  as I said at the start, it's the size of the battery in a small car, dimension-wise anyway.  It's 26 AH and I  found one at the lawnmower shop for £37.  Bargain!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

There was a fantastic article in Feb 2011 CMM, about a guy who has had a Mk1 from almost new and has modded it with allsorts of stuff. Ive still got a copy if you want me to scan it for you John.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

That'd be good thanks Tim, cheers!

threepot

So I'm told..we can blame supermarket chains for the reduction in petrol quality. They put pressure on manufacturers to reduce price..hence omission of additives etc
95 Super111
96 Tiger

John Stenhouse

Not really, I think you can blame our lords and masters, they were the tits who decided to make fuel go further and give it a spurious green credential by adding ethanol.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting