News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Countdown to a Tiger ...

Started by Slim Dave, February 12, 2005, 12:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim Dave

Well this weekend I'm off to take a basic riders course -- I haven't ridden a motorbike since my *ahem* unlicensed activities in the UK nearly 20 years ago, so I suppose it's time to learn properly.

And then ... off to the dealerships to try out an '05 Tiger. I read in the forum of people living in vast wastelands devoid of any form of Triumph dealership (the Dakotas, I expect), so I was pretty pleased to find that there's not only one in my town, but two up the road in Denver.

This is all providing I don't whang my head against a lamp post within ten minutes of starting the lessons, of course.

See you in the mountains, guys!

ps. Orange is faster, right?

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Slim Dave"ps. Orange is faster, right?

Yes. Many of the other colors have become extinct.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe! (Shiny side up, etc.) This said...and lord knows I'm as big a Tiger booster as anyone...it would not be the bike I'd recommend someone to just climb on after years away. It's not a good learner's bike. Especially not being licensed yet. Had you considered a smaller beast like the V-Strom?
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

BP_LONDON

Great stuff, you're gonna love the bike, one note, and please take my advice. get some engine bars ASAP.You WILL drop the bike at some point, most likely in your garage, drive, or parking lot. It'll save you a lot of money.  I've dropped my bike stationary 3 times and decided to get some touratech bars installed. :D  :D  8)

whoa

Quote from: "Slim Dave"Orange is faster, right?

Check out the British Racing Green and see what you think.  My favorite is Orange.  But I gotta say the Roulette Green that I'm riding gets points for safety factor.

I was off the bike for over twenty years and I started riding again on the Tiger.  Also took the MSF as a refresher.  No worries about starting off with the Tiger.  But I have been pushing it harder just a little at a time.

Enjoy.

Kill Switch

You will love the Tiger.  It is really a joy to ride.  Very versatile and reliable.

Slim Dave

Well I was going to reply on Saturday evening, but I was completely knackered after the first day of the basic riders course. In fact two days in the sun have got me pretty much wiped out.

But anyway, that was a great experience. The course here is run by  Rider Training Enterprises, and on this weekend the instructors were Kent (full-time employee) and Dave (Army, from Fort Carson), and they did a great job -- professional and entertaining at the same time, and everyone passed the course which is a fine testament. Dave is due to go to Iraq for his 4th tour (!) next month -- we wish him all the best for that, and for our class mate who is due to leave in August for her first tour. Long story short, a great course.

So if I didn't have a sick kid at home today I'd be off down the DMV getting my license endorsement -- stinkin' kids, always getting in the way of the fun.

I guess that i may even have to wait until the weekend to go Tiger hunting.  Booo!

Slim Dave

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"Good luck, have fun, and be safe! (Shiny side up, etc.) This said...and lord knows I'm as big a Tiger booster as anyone...it would not be the bike I'd recommend someone to just climb on after years away. It's not a good learner's bike. Especially not being licensed yet. Had you considered a smaller beast like the V-Strom?

Yup, the point is taken, and thanks for the thought there -- now luckily i live in a low-traffic area with plenty of opportunity for practice before I hit the (more) open roads. I'm in no hurry to start screamin' round the mountains. If my plans go right I'll get the dealership to deliver directly to my house so my first experience isn't negotiating big city traffic plus 65 miles down the freeway. If that course teaches anything, then it's how much there still is to learn.

Slim Dave

Quote from: "BP_LONDON"Great stuff, you're gonna love the bike, one note, and please take my advice. get some engine bars ASAP.You WILL drop the bike at some point, most likely in your garage, drive, or parking lot. It'll save you a lot of money.  I've dropped my bike stationary 3 times and decided to get some touratech bars installed. :D  :D  8)

Yes, I was thinking of getting over that shiny-new-thing infatuation by just giving it a good kicking straightaway. Deal with the pain on my own terms! Also, engine bars are definately at the top of the list (I wonder if the dealership would just fit them for me? Never hurts to ask)

My learning bike was a Suzuki DR200 (dual sport), so the seat height of 32" was at least close to the same ballpark as a tiger (even if it's only half the weight) and I found that comfortable enough -- both feet on the floor etc.. I bet the Tiger goes into neutral easier than the DR200 though.

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Slim Dave"
Quote from: "BP_LONDON"Great stuff, you're gonna love the bike, one note, and please take my advice. get some engine bars ASAP.You WILL drop the bike at some point, most likely in your garage, drive, or parking lot. It'll save you a lot of money.  I've dropped my bike stationary 3 times and decided to get some touratech bars installed. :D  :D  8)

Yes, I was thinking of getting over that shiny-new-thing infatuation by just giving it a good kicking straightaway. Deal with the pain on my own terms! Also, engine bars are definately at the top of the list (I wonder if the dealership would just fit them for me? Never hurts to ask)

My learning bike was a Suzuki DR200 (dual sport), so the seat height of 32" was at least close to the same ballpark as a tiger (even if it's only half the weight) and I found that comfortable enough -- both feet on the floor etc.. I bet the Tiger goes into neutral easier than the DR200 though.

I think the height of the tiger doesn't have as much to do with the low speed drops as the weight. Its gonna surprise you at some point and the bars will save you a headache later on...

Slim Dave

Quote from: "BP_LONDON"I think the height of the tiger doesn't have as much to do with the low speed drops as the weight. Its gonna surprise you at some point and the bars will save you a headache later on...

Thanks, BP. I posted a poll to try and get some idea of when this is most likely to happen -- we'll see if anything comes out of that as well.

Hey, I'd sure rather be riding here than in London! One of my house-mate there was a courier for a year or so -- never a dull moment and always a life-affirming story at the end of the day.

Slim Dave

The deed is done and delivery is tomorrow. Damned if I'm picking it up from the dealership and riding through downtown as my first experience. Talk about having a tiger by the tail ...

I'll tell you what though, that really is a fkn big bike. I'm going to be taking it real easy for a while.

Most importantly -- BRG rules!

ChrisN

Congrats Slim Dave.

I'm with you all the way on the BRG!!!
Chris

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Slim Dave"The deed is done and delivery is tomorrow. Damned if I'm picking it up from the dealership and riding through downtown as my first experience. Talk about having a tiger by the tail ...

I'll tell you what though, that really is a fkn big bike. I'm going to be taking it real easy for a while.

Most importantly -- BRG rules!

Awesome! Remember, the more you ride it the better you will ride, so don't be shy with it...

Slim Dave

Wheee! Up at 5am this morning, and on the bike by 5:30. Nearly dropped it within 2 yards of it's parking place in the garage by looking back over my shoulder to see if I'd cleared the door yet. That would have been a record, I bet.

Damn cold though, about 30F when I left and not much more than that when I got back home at 8am.

The bike was superb -- balanced, smooth, and torquey at the low end. Curse this damned break-in period though, I need more revs, Jim.

Anyone know a decent place to get coffee somewhere North or East of Colorado Springs, at 6am on a weekend morning?

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Slim Dave"Wheee! Up at 5am this morning, and on the bike by 5:30. Nearly dropped it within 2 yards of it's parking place in the garage by looking back over my shoulder to see if I'd cleared the door yet. That would have been a record, I bet.

Damn cold though, about 30F when I left and not much more than that when I got back home at 8am.

The bike was superb -- balanced, smooth, and torquey at the low end. Curse this damned break-in period though, I need more revs, Jim.

Anyone know a decent place to get coffee somewhere North or East of Colorado Springs, at 6am on a weekend morning?

Nice, do you have heated grips? They are essential kit in winter/cold conditions, especially if you ride long distances.