News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

12K service shopping list?

Started by theclowncrusty, January 09, 2013, 05:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theclowncrusty

Hi after falling off on black ice before Christmas i have decided on two things,

1. I am not 18 anymore and don't do the "Tarmac Tango" so well anymore. :(

2. Going to take the bike off the road for a few weeks to do some much needed service on my baby. So I am looking to do a full valve clearance service. Change plugs, change air filter and strip/rejet carbs. And generally go around the bike doing all the stuff I have been putting off due to having to use the bike every day for work.

So my query is. What parts do i need to get? Such as cam cover gasket and stuff. Have read on here that if you strip the carbs make sure you reassemble with new seal/gasket kit?
What jets would i need to wake the beast up a bit? Thinking of opening the second air filter intake hole up so i need to jet the carbs to match.
Have also seen air filter mod where you split filter case so it can be removed each side of the spine frame. (is this recommended or not worth the trouble?)
Coils are stock as far as i know so should i look at those while i am in there? (where to get upgraded ones in the UK?)

That's about it for now. Looking to do more mods in the future but just want to get my baby back to where she should be because this is the best all round bike that i have ever had so want to make sure it will last long into the future.
Crusty

Mustang

unless you stretch the rubber gasket on the valve cover ......it's reusable many many times

opening up the capped snorkel is a complete waste of time
you will only gain top end (how often do you ride at WOT ?)at the sacrifice of the lovely flat torque curve of a steamer
and if you think a steamer is thirsty now wait till you put bigger mains in it , it is a gas hog after that

unless your coils are causing problems , changing them out won't do anything but lighten your wallet

and unless yor tigger is a 98 with Keihins that came tremendously lean from the factory rejetting is a waste of time as the mikunis were pretty much dead on with the mains .

If you seriously want more power out of a steamer you need :

1. cams from a speed triple
2 carbs jetted to speed trip specs
3. an igniter from speed triple
4 . and then you can open up the snorkel
5. some free flowing exhausts (read that as obnoxiously loud)

theclowncrusty

Thanks Mustang for the speedy and detailed reply. That will save me some money then, more to spend on other parts of the bike. The bike is coming up to 40K now but this is the first full service that i am having to do as i bought it with a reconditioned engine fitted from "Triumphant" that was still being run in when i purchased the bike. So the motor has about 14K on it in my ownership so it is about time i did the valves!!

I will leave the jetting alone but is it worth stripping the carbs while i have got it in bits. Bike runs fine as far as i know with no flat spots in the rev range. I know some will say "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Does anyone have a link to a plug spanner that will get the buggers out as i have no tool kit and nothing in my garage got close to them the last time i had the tank off.. :(

Will put a new air filter on while i am in there. So what do i need?
3X spark plug. (not sure what type.)
New air filter. Is this just the filter or the whole assembly?
Oil and filter.
A few warm days in the garage. LOL Like that is going to happen at this time of year?
Crusty

Mustang

Quote from: theclowncrusty on January 09, 2013, 07:44:40 PM

I will leave the jetting alone but is it worth stripping the carbs while i have got it in bits. Bike runs fine as far as i know with no flat spots in the rev range. I know some will say "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
You just answered your own question ................."If it aint broke don't mess with it "

Quote from: theclowncrusty on January 09, 2013, 07:44:40 PMDoes anyone have a link to a plug spanner that will get the buggers out as i have no tool kit and nothing in my garage got close to them the last time i had the tank off.. :(
The only one I have ever found that RELIABLY works is the one that comes in the tool kit supplied with the bike

Quote from: theclowncrusty on January 09, 2013, 07:44:40 PM
3X spark plug. (not sure what type.)
NGK DPR9EA-9
Quote from: theclowncrusty on January 09, 2013, 07:44:40 PMNew air filter. Is this just the filter or the whole assembly?
Triumph only sells them as an assembly complete with box  You can clean the filter and reuse it , just make sure the plastic box is not cracked and use silicone sealant on the rubber flange of filter to seal it when re using the box .
K&N sells just the filter , I won't use em though . YMMV

rf9rider

Don`t forget to check the chain rub block, and rub strip  :thumbsup

As for the plug spanner, i got a cheapo metal one from a local motor factor, cost about £3.00, as most i tried are too thick to fit between head casings and the spark plug.

Something like this, but obviously the right size for your plugs

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-tools-equipment/lawnmowers/lawnmower_accessories/-specificproducttype-spark_plugs/B-and-Q-Spark-Plug-Spanner-9219180