News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Replacing my wrecked 885i Girly

Started by benebob, January 20, 2013, 08:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

Even though I haven't made the 75ft walk to see my bike lying on my trailer in the back yard I'm fairly certain it isn't rebuildable for what its worth so I've been looing for a replacement.

Ideally i'd like a roulette green Girly butfrom everything I've read for me the 885i seems the better engine over the 955i with the eternal alt, etc.   Was planning on repainting my in the spring before the hit and run drunk girl changed my life forever. 

I fould a 01 green Girly fairly close with under 20k for a decent price of 3700 but no bags or centerstand.  Best part is I would probably end up with a decent parts bike for a Girly though I'm guessing the engine is toast as I don't know how long it ran on its side.

Today I stumbled on a 2010 SE at a local dealer with 7k priced at 8600 (still higher than I'd want but seems like a good starting point.  I'm not the type who was planning any off road jaunts anyways but looking for an honest comparison between the Girly and roadie.  I ride all winter so wind protection good traction etc are important to me I do like the abs idea on the se but personally hat matte black paint on a bike or any vehicle for that matter.  Bike would live outside and judging from the 885i I know Triumph has been inconsistant in bolt quality as I have a bunch of rusty bolt heads on it from living outside.

What are your thoughts or which direction would you go?  Of course I have no money as of yet sine the bike didn't have replacement coverage.  I would likely take a loan out then pay off once a settlement happens.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

metalguru

I have had the 885 and presently the 955 and personally think as I ride every day that the 955 is superior in many ways to the 885.
Having said that the finish on the later cast wheel 955 is paint as opposed to powdercoat.
Now is a good time to buy especially from a dealer as there are many offers to be gleaned by haggling but private prices are still strong.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

benebob

Thnks Metal, it just seems more people have charging issues with the 955 and that is one of those things you can;t fix on the side of the road.  Still looking for some thoughts on the 1050 SE vs. a Girly like seating, comfort and durability sitting outside.  Just seems kinda cheap plastic build more like a Jap bike then the Girly.   Plastic is fine but when left in the elements some fades and some just gets brittle and cracks.  I'm the type to buy for a long period of time not ust a couple of years and then move on. I know  I'll be buying without riding (do have a friend I trust for a mechanical check ride) so all thoughts would be nice.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Chris Canning

It can get a little complicated!!!

When I jumped off my Africa Twin on a new 885i I thought it was great so I ordered on one,it lasted weeks it blew a head gasket in the end but it had that many other things wrong with it Triumph let me have another new one,yea it was Ok,usual stuff like discs being replaced etc,took it in for a 12000 service test rode a 955,frankly I was gobsmacked, just an alround better bike,the saggy suspension was gone( well better ish!!!) and the motor was just a league in front,and because Triumph had moved the redline up by 1500 revs just meant even with decent progress you never had/have to go anywhere near it and even less so with a 19t sprocket,even after a brief ride I'd not the slightest intention of going back for my 885i.

Even though both bikes share so many parts,what I couldn't work out(after buying my 955 I went back to the shop to sit on my old 885i) you sit IN an 885i were as you sit on a 955i.

But you can't stop progress,I have an almost brand new 1050 Tiger in my garage(I'm storing it for a mate),when you start it up the throttle response is electric in comparison to a 955,it just a more modern alround bike,for me it has two flaws,the daft seat which puts a pillion up in the gods,and the size of the fuel tank,having ridden a distance with two 1050's on my 955 I can tell you even at the speed I travel at I've another 50 miles travelling distance.

Re riding with the two 1050's,I meet two guys on a ferry coming back from Ireland it turns out they live just round the corner from us,having never ridden with a 1050 I'm expecting to get blown off and their both one up,the journey back was quick dual carriageway,I set a pace and they follow,it's 180 miles from the ferry to home,with 30 miles to go I loose e'm in the traffic and carry on.

I go round to see the one guy the day after,I walk though his shop door,no hello or anything he just says 'F me that 955 of yours goes well' really I say, I was expecting you to come blasting past,jeeze he says it's all we were worth hanging onto you and then we ran out of fuel!!!,did you stop for fuel he says,errr no fuel light just came on as we arrived at the house,so I knew I'd still got 40/50 miles.

Won't stop me/us going to the launch of the New Sport Tiger,as my contact didn't get the job he was hoping for at Ducati!!!!,so that was the Multi down the pan.

metalguru

The charging system does have its faults and is well documented on here, well worth a read and as Girlies age most will have the modification done, even with a complete novice following the instructions it is less than an hour to accomplish.
It is with all hope that your settlement is sufficient to get back on the road again and in the mean time if you are able, take a trip to a dealer and have a look at the bikes that are of interest to you which meet your expectations for build and comfort.
Generally if the 885 has been down, remove the spark plugs and turn the engine via the starter to ensure there is no oil in the bores, although if it has stood for a while the oil should drain back down, but while the plugs are out check the compression pressures are close. This will ensure the con rods are still straight. Not knowing the damage to your bike it would be difficult to suggest a way forward. There are really only two, either repair or part out, if the insurance company doesn't keep it which is really the easiest option.....Don't ask!
Now you have the chance it would be a good move to at least go for the 955. They are superb to say the least, highly under-rated.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

I put a post up on here about how many folk had had charging problems with very few takers!!!,yea sure there are some posts on here but only a handfull of folk,don't forget the 955i ran from 01 to 06 there are a lot of bikes,the 885i was a disaster,Triumph have a 4 year model plan,even the 955 got an upgrade after that time,but there is one exception with Triumph and thats the 885i they pulled the plug in under 2 years and in fairness the Daytona 595 went the same way,I bought one of the very first 885i's in april 99 and by the end of 2000 they had ceased production and the engine that they had built for the new Daytona got put into the Tiger first and I had mine in april 2001.

Yea sure there are some good 885i's out there,but sadly a minority,I had some great conversations with other Tiger users before the net got really going,we were all having similar problems even down to no help or input from Triumph and in the end their response was the 955.