News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Anyone come across these engine bars?

Started by TigerT, February 01, 2013, 08:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Having thrown a Tiger down the road,I can tell you now they won't work with no support at the bottom,might save your tank and not a fat lot else,Touratech!!

Bixxer Bob

What Chris means is Touratech are designed to not dig in and flip the bike while protecting the engine as well as the tank.  He did comparatively little damage despite doing 40ish (if I remember right Chris?)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

They look similar to these ...http://triumph-online.co.uk/tiger-955i-200106-crash-bars-not-885i-2407-p.asp , but are cheaper and post free :thumbsup from what I`ve seen the worst damage done to a 955 with bars fitted when slid down the road is a bit of gear change and foot peg damage, better than £300 plus worth of tank damage.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

benebob

Once I'm able to walk the 50 yards outside I'll snap a pic of the bars on my 885i that took not only a 3400lbs car but slid down the road protected me the engine and tank.  They still look like they're a rattle can away from doing it again.  Sadly, I think my engine is toast as silly me was too worried about my life then to remember to turn off the engine so I think it well finally turned itself off.  I too wonder what style they are as I've never seen any other crash bars like 'em.  I'm told though they won't fit a 955i so they may not be with me for my next ride.

99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Chris Canning

I have to admit when looking at crash most seem to have delights of a shovel to scoop things up not help a bike slide down the road,the Tourarech also cover the bottom of the engine as well,what I hadn't worked out untill I fell off,some bright spark at TT had taken the trouble to measure the bars thats both crash and handle so so when the bike is on the floor the handle bars don't touch the floor,so having wiped off left foot/gear lever/pillion foot peg the rest of the bike was unscathed.

See how you also get a cover over the case.

Bixxer Bob

I KNOW your Tiger goes out in the rain Chris, and it's immaculate condition is a credit to you, but FFS how much time DO you spend cleaning it?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

There's the party piece of Touratech that I forgot to mention.

Oh and here's the bike minging.

And the bodge to get the bike home from Northern Ireland,and no I don't have a photo of the broken ribs!!

Fross

TigerT, I bought a pair of these for my Tiger, they were easy to fit and will protect things if you drop the bike at slow speed etc. I agree whats been said about the lack of bottom mounting, (just one side fixed across the front of the bike to the other). The finish coating isn't brilliant but for the money in my opinion they're a good buy, plus I'm not sure any others are manufactured any more. They were delivered very quickly too.
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.
British Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

metalguru

Had a similar set on my old 885 and they stood up to a very hard 60mph impact with the road after hitting a horse.
Although they were damaged to the point where half the diameter of the top tube had worn away, they kept the brunt of the impact away from the extremeties of the bike. If it wasn't for the fact the bike was a foot shorter than it was designed I am sure it could have been ridden home.
IMHO something is better than nothing.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

TigerT

Thanks all, the Touratech do look excellent quality (as does your bike Chris, very smart).
All feedback much appreciated. Will have a think!

Cheers
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

Chris Canning

My reasoning for Touratech,I wasn't buying crash bars for bling or worrying about cost I actually thought 'I hope I don't need e'm but if I do they better work well' it wasn't a gentle get off could have dumped it at double the speed the bike would have just keeped sliding as the bars keep everything off the floor pegs and gear lever(always carry a spare) excepted,if you can't afford new wait on ebay they do come along.

A country road out of the back of BallyCastle,avoided the gravel in the middle on the high point,missed the dark stuff on the right next to the grass!!!,the bike was another 20yds down the road behind the camera.

cbxtc6

Same mounting points as the  Hebco-Beckers.  Ie; crappy at the lower point.

They'll help keep the plastic tank somewhat safer in a fall.  I've had to weld mine a couple times (after Colorado trail trips!) at the middle mounting tab.

blacktiger

2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.