News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Airbox back to stock - jetting?

Started by sweller, February 21, 2013, 08:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweller

I have a 1996 UK spec Tiger - slightly modified but gets used as a European tourer.  (just got back from Madrid, Passau and Berlin in two separate trips earlier this month) - off to Istanbul in June but it has a few fuel issues; which I want to sort out.

It did have a Dynojet kit which caused it to suck fuel:  38 mpg @ 70 mph, 24 mpg @ 85+ mph - replacing the Dynojet needles with stock, filing the extra slider hole and replacing the worn emulsion tubes got the fuel consumption down to 41 mpg @ 70 mph and 32 mpg @ 85+ mph.  I've already done the O rings.

The boundary between fairish consumption and suck it down seems to be 5000rpm with a 19t front sprocket.

These are in UK mpg (UK gall = 4.54 litres, US gall=3.78 litres) fuel here in the UK and the rest of Europe is sold in litres and costs about USD $2 a litre - over $7 per US gallon; you can see why I want it sorted.

I understand the Steamers had the right hand side of the airbox capped somehow - this one has been opened up and is now running 125 main jets (40 pilot/primaries, needles in position 3 from top)

I'm intending to return the airbox and jetting to stock - how is the airbox capped?  Is it at the airbox end or is right hand snorkel (is that what it's called, the extra bit that bolts to the battery box?).

Can someone provide a picture of how it was factory sealed.  I was thinking of simply using some type of plumbing blanking plate on the RHS air intake (the bit with the foam 'silencer' tube).

With the airbox re-sealed, K&N filter, standard headers including balance pipe but Renegade silencers (recently repacked) where would be a good starting point for jets - the standard 105?

What say you?

Anyway, here's a picture of the old bus:

Simon

Simon

Brighton
England

rf9rider

The right hand snorkel just has a plastic cap fitted, nothing special, just pushes on.

I`ll try find a pic.

Here you are,  if you scroll down through the thread you`ll see both side airboxes, one with the cap on.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7985.msg62560.html#msg62560

Mustang

with the snorkel capped it should run good on 105 main jets and #40 pilot jets
needle clip in the middle notch and air screws set at about 1 1/2 turns

you should see a small improvement in your current mpg

you are correct though the mikunis suck the fuel down
my 95 when ridden spirited gets low thirtys mpg (US) and it's box stock .
it's the nature of the beast

The 98 tigers came with keihin carbs and do get better fuel mileage by a couple mpg

sweller

Quote from: Mustang on February 21, 2013, 05:22:09 PM
with the snorkel capped it should run good on 105 main jets and #40 pilot jets
needle clip in the middle notch and air screws set at about 1 1/2 turns

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

105s will be OK with a K&N filter and aftermarket silencers?  I can always chop the plugs to make sure.

Quote from: Mustang on February 21, 2013, 05:22:09 PM
you should see a small improvement in your current mpg

How small....?

Does the airbox modification give any real world performance increase or is it more in the mind?  Although, I suppose I'll find out when I take it off!

I can't say I noticed *any* difference pre and post Dynojet kit removal.
Simon

Brighton
England