News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

No Indication!

Started by griffon62, February 28, 2013, 08:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

griffon62

Hi All.
I was recently riding my Tiger home (a 2000 885i) and lost the use of the indicators, horn and brake light. It was an intermittent fault at first but now nothing at all. I took the handlebar switch apart and using a multimeter found I am getting 12 volts at the buttons so I presume its the common or ground wire that is broken. But for the life of me I cant find it. I have stripped the bike down so I can see the loom but cant see anything obvious, ie broken wires. Has anyone come across this before and can tell me where i should be looking?
thanks..

Bixxer Bob

The components are live and grounded through the switch so you are right in suspecting the ground wire.  Check the first connector after the switch block (sometimes the ground changes colour after a conection block) and trace it from there.  Sorry can't be more help tonight, Idon't have my manual to hand and it's nearly midnight here.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

griffon62

Thanks for the help.
Will pursue the wiring issue although I have read it could be a failed ignition switch problem as the feed goes through the switch.
Dont really want to start drilling out the ignition if I dont need to. Bike has only done 21k. Wouldnt have thought the contacts would have failed so soon.:doubt

Bixxer Bob

Turn, horn and brake get their power from the fuse via the ign switch so first check  the output from the fuse (solid orange) for 12v.  If bad,check fuse and contacts.  I you have 12v, check the orange with green band wire at the horn, front an rear brake switches for 12v. If bad, it's likely where that wire is soldered to the ign switch but first spray the lock internals with contact cleaner and switch it on and off a few times to eliminate that from possibilities.  broken wires at the lock are a know issue.  What I don't understand is you said you have 12v at the buttons ( I assume you mean horn and turn ) which still points to a grounding problem, but they do not have a common ground.

Edit: to save pulling stuff apart you could, as the second check, go to the turn signal relay and check for 12v at terminal 4 the orange with green band. If bad it's somewhere in the lock area.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

griffon62

Hats off to you Bixxer Bob. :notworthy
You were bang on. Traced the fault to the ignition switch where I found a broken black/ white wire.
But what a mission to get to it. Had to virtually dismantle the top end of bike to trace one poxy wire :BangHead.
Now to get it back on the road for the weekend. Cheers!

Bixxer Bob

Glad its sorted, but I have to say I'm baffled as that wire is power to the ign switch and then to the stop switch and instruments, it has nothing to do with the circuits you had trouble with.  I though maybe a switch from another model but they are all basically the same.

griffon62

Got me fretting there for a second, but just connected it up and everything works :eusa_clap
BTW... My local time is about the same as yours, being as i am in Essex.

blacktiger

Quote from: griffon62 on March 01, 2013, 09:09:37 PM
BTW... My local time is about the same as yours, being as i am in Essex.

Hey John..... :pottytrain2
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

griffon62

blacktiger

Bixxer Bob

So,  what did I do now?????

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 04, 2013, 09:34:38 PM
So,  what did I do now?????

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 01, 2013, 12:33:00 AM
  Sorry can't be more help tonight, Idon't have my manual to hand and it's nearly midnight here.

The guy is in Essex which should be same time zone.

John Stenhouse

Nah, Norfolk is a different planet  :notworthy, I know I lived there for five years
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting