News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Libel,..., damnable libel, I say

Started by 97tiger885, March 01, 2013, 03:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I have run the 97 for almost 5 years now.  Starting it in the cold has been a problem.  Every time I think I have found a workable method, something seems to change.  The cold starting issues (20-30 degrees F) have gone away the last several weeks.  Turns out the problem was OPERATOR ERROR.   I adopted the O-ring between the throttle grip and the bar weight as a throttle lock early on.   I now realize that I wasnt closing the throttle the entire way.  I turned it to the point just where the free play ended.  Evidently that does not close the throttle.  Now I make sure to turn the throttle grip all the way and-bang-it fires very quickly with little choke.  Life is much better.

Another sad case of OE.

John Stenhouse

I had a Honda CRM enduro bike with similar habits, could be sat for ages and  started no problem as long as you didn't touch the throttle, choke on three kicks away it went.

But try any throttle and boy were you in trouble, best thing to do after that was walk away for a couple of hours  :notworthy
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

funny thing, this Aprilia Starck is the same, "Step away from the throttle..."
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

davetheworv

hi,I have  a Sprint 885 and come in here coz of the basic similarities of the bikes,also I have fitted standard tubular bars with  a riser block  which sits high like the tiger so have some affinity with the ride position. My bike used to be a right sod to fire up till i found out not to use the throttle and i also turn the lights on for 10 seconds to "warm" the battery as some in the sprint forums say. Sounds mighty weird but it works every time.
Hope you dont mind a Sprinter in here sometimes.
cheers
Dave
ps hey the new Tiger sport doesnt look a million miles away from my bike

Bixxer Bob

Welcome Dave, we're not fussy in here, glad we're helping.  I don't own an early Tiger but I used to own a 900 Trident and my mate had your model so I empathize .. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Me_Rock

Doesn't the steamer have a special idle circuit on the carbs, making throttle tweaks unnecessary for startups? I have been starting my '96 on an inexpensive battery all winter. The formula seems to be no throttle, full choke, and a good three or four cranks of the starter. Most mornings are under 30F.

Bixxer Bob

:sign13 That's an interesting point.  The carb has a piston operated by the choke cable that slides in a cylinder fed by the brass tube you can see on the outside that goes to the float bowl.  I don't have carbs so never gave it more than a passing thought while working on a Starck.  I'll have to read up on it - unless Mustang drops in with a detailed description of how it works  :hat10