News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

mukuni needle heights??

Started by jimmead, April 16, 2013, 12:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmead

Hi All
am just rebuilding the carbs on my Tiger which has been laid up for many moons!!
had a bit of a problem after refitting, the bike was running very rough, terrible idle but seemed OK under load?
Took the carbs off again to check them out and found I'd pinched the middle diaphragm which explained the running issue.

However, I have stumbled across folk that say the middle needle should be set one notch up from the outer needles for optimum runnung?
Does anyone have any advice on this? Mine were all set in the 4th groove down, Ive had the bike for well over ten years and theyve never been touched although it hasnt been used much for the last five?

many thanks, Jim :doubt

Mustang

middle notch ........all 3
pilots at 1 1/2 to 2 turns out

jimmead

threepot

Do what I did after Mustangs recommendation..put 42.5 Pilots in :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

sweller

What difference do the 42.5 pilots make?
Simon

Brighton
England

threepot

Bike just seems to run nicer..better starting,smoother,pulls really nice from about 2-3k.I've got a K&N fitted,came with bike. Bike now runs with snorkels off my S3,and no blanking cap. I reckon it would give my Super3 a run for its money up to the ton :thumbsup I think its worth doing.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

sweller

Quote from: threepot on April 18, 2013, 07:58:58 PM
I think its worth doing.

What kind of MPG do you get?  Does it still have the RH airbox capped?
Simon

Brighton
England

Mustang

if you want fuel economy stick with the OEM #40 pilots...................otherwise she  :new_all_coholic

jimmead

Hi All

Me again;
I have tried various combinations of needle heights and pilot screw settings and can't get Her to run cleanly?
She starts perfectly and has a very smooth idle that responds well to adjustment.
However, blipping the throttle causes the engine to choke and try to die on me?
Applying the throttle slowly and genltly and she'll rev and I can ride her to some extent.
If I apply a bit of Choke She'll rev OK

However, I think I need someone to have a look that actually knows what they're doing now, rather than my fat fingered fumblings?
Can anyone recommend a munkenic in or near Hertfordshire that is familiar with these bikes and thier temperament!?

Thanks in anticipation and best regards, Jim :doubt

BruKen

If you are talking about a lag and bog down on open throttle snatching for a second or two followed by a massive surge in power (reminiscent of the old school 2 strokes just before hitting the powerband or turbo lag in small diesel engines) you are probably running too rich and with the Mikuni in particular this is often a symptom of oval worn emulsion tubes where the needle has elongated the hole. Pop the caps and have  look down if the above symptoms are yours. Both my tigger and gsx with Mikuni's suffered from this before I changed the emulsion tube and needle sets. Word of warning though, check first, dont change for change sake, the replacement parts aren't cheap. You'll be grabbing your ankles in Trafalgar Square to raise the dosh for the ransom demanded by those extortionist robbing bastids.

Please excuse my vulgarity... 2 years on and I'm still peeved ...  :doubt