News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil leak from gearbox

Started by wad2502, April 17, 2013, 06:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wad2502

OK had an oil leak as a result of chain snapping and damaging the clutch operating rod.

On second attempt (cleaning damaged hole filling with chemical metal and reaming it back to round, fitting new clutch rod seal) I discovered another leak form below the front sprocket.

On close inspection I could see a thread that went clean into the gearbox.. with clean oil slowly dripping out. no sign of anything missing form the outside.

Popped a short cap head bolt into it to stop the leak while finding out whats come out.

Went to local Steamer Breaker man (5 min away how lucky is that!) found what is missing is a torques head grub screw from one end of a "C" clamp that holds one end of the gearbox selector drum has come adrift and fallen into the bottom of the engine!

This would explain the occasional difficulty changing gear! :(

OK so if I remove the sump can I fit a new (lock tight'd ) grub screw without dismantling the whole engine?? IE can it be reached form underneath the bike?

I can lay the bike down on its side.. with oil drained and fuel tank removed.

Or do I plump for a full replacement engine and keep this one for spares?

Engine has 46K miles and runs very sweetly!

wad2502

OK been as I am not able to find out if I can fix the selector drum into place without stripping the engine I have gone for an optional engine upgrade..

Engine and ECU out of a 46K miles Trophy.. 98PS ;)

Any problems anyone knows that I will come across? Other than needing bike clips and brown trousers (pants in American speak) to avoid showing accidents while I get used to all the extra power? ;)

rf9rider

The only thing you`ll find is you will now have a 1 up 5 down gearbox, unless you want to change the innards from the Tiger motor.

wad2502

Mmmm :( that's the problem with my current engine.

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=304166&block_03=23773

Part 13 has dropped into the sump and bracket (part 12) which holds the selector drum in place is loose pivoting around the neutral light switch.

So at any time the gearbox could lock up or I could get stuck in a gear or no gears.. :(

IF I can get to put a new (locktight'd in this time) part 13 in without stripping the engine then all is good.

But can I do this without removing and  breaking down the whole engine?

My RGV has a cassette gearbox and is relatively easy to do. how hard it it on a steamer?