News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

sooty exhausts

Started by windscreenman1, May 02, 2013, 11:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windscreenman1

Anyone else getting this on cans ?

Mustang

thats from running too rich

1 . main jets too big is the usual culprit
2 . pilots set too many turns out from closed
3. or needles set too high

have someone follow you and see when the black smoke comes out like a diesel
if it happens when you just gave it a good throttle whack it's probably your main jets

looks like stock exhaust cans  from the pic so if your mains are bigger than 105's thats where
I would start .

also when was the last time you cleaned replaced the air filter ?

windscreenman1

Airbox is new mustang all jets are stock all seals in carbs are new needles are on middle clip carbs were stipped and cleaned 200 miles ago pilot screws are at 1.5 turns out

Mustang

black soot IS too rich in 1 of the three ranges
idle (pilot circuit)
mid (needle settings)
or wide open (main jets )

look how dark black that center pipe is on the end cap
you should be seeing a slight tinge of brown color there

if your floats are set wrong will cause it to run rich also .

your fuel mileage is suffering also ? correct ?
you should easily be seeing 40 + mpg (US gallon)even with mikunis 

windscreenman1

Thanks for that mustang  well have carbs off again and double check  :rock-1:
Must be something there
Cheers

Sin_Tiger

Just sweep them  :icon_wink: Sooty - Sweep, OK never mind, it's an age thing :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

windscreenman1

Yes I get it sin  ha ha

Cleaned them again and double checked eveything went for a 80 mile run about 65 mile in the bike suddenly coughed and the revs were holding at 3k so stopped and turned her off I hadnoticed that if I wasnt on yhe revs the engine was heavily brakeing after this episode she ran smoother no hesitation  no spotting and very litte engine brakeing I think she may be cured
Lets hooe so
Thanks for the advice mustang
Cheers

qbto

Quote from: windscreenman1 on May 04, 2013, 09:39:17 PM
Yes I get it sin  ha ha

Cleaned them again and double checked eveything went for a 80 mile run about 65 mile in the bike suddenly coughed and the revs were holding at 3k so stopped and turned her off I hadnoticed that if I wasnt on yhe revs the engine was heavily brakeing after this episode she ran smoother no hesitation  no spotting and very litte engine brakeing I think she may be cured
Lets hooe so
Thanks for the advice mustang
Cheers

Possibly you had a blocked jet, I was going to suggest checking your air filter wasn't blocked but even better if its fixed itself  :icon_biggrin: