News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Spoof on Choppers

Started by Patrick the Scot, February 20, 2005, 06:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick the Scot

Satirically funny website that makes fun of chopper motorcycles

http://chopperflop.com
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

ChrisN

Thanks Patrick.  :lol:

Wonder what the mad walrus from Orange County makes of it ?
Chris

Patrick the Scot

Yep, the Mad Walrus would probably not even pick up on the satire, not realizing that he was the joke.

I must say that those type of bikes are interesting in many ways, most of all the fact that people will actually ride them.  That is what amazes me.  I watch the chopper shows out of shear disbelief that any sane person would twist a grip, helmetless, shirtless, etc. on a two wheeled monstrosity that has all the wrong geometry in all the critical places.

I will say this in defense of the whole chopper thing: Not all choppers have to be cartoons of themselves such as OCC and W. Coast.  For example, I think that Russell Mitchel of Excile Cycles actually has an aethetic gift for designing and fabricating some fairly coherent chopper/bobbers, and it can be seen in the classic clean delivery of his motorcycles.  If I was forced to ride that type of moto, I would have to chose one of Russell Mitchell's bikes.  See them at http://www.exilecycles.com/index2.html
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

ChrisN

Not wishing to state the obvious - but Russell Mitchell is English and maybe his background provides the necessary restaint from embracing the full-on american chopper theme. I saw the guy on Discovery and agree his bikes are cool. Didn't he invent the twist grip clutch to complete the cableless clean appearance which is part of his signature look ?

You've got to hand it to some of these top builders, they certainly pay attention to detail. Problem is it's usually at the expense of practicality! Hence their choice of essential riding attire - matching tattoos!

Now where's my credit card, I fancy a 30k "Fat Bloke"......
Chris

Slim Dave

Quote from: "ChrisN"... Russell Mitchell is English ... I saw the guy on Discovery and agree his bikes are cool.

Is he the guy who said American custom bikes are all the same except for the paintwork? Sounded pretty much spot-on.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "ChrisN"Not wishing to state the obvious - but Russell Mitchell is English and maybe his background provides the necessary restaint from embracing the full-on american chopper theme. I saw the guy on Discovery and agree his bikes are cool. Didn't he invent the twist grip clutch to complete the cableless clean appearance which is part of his signature look ?

I'm sure his cultural roots have a direct influence on his work.  After all his shop in California has about a 15' wide Union Jack draped from the back wall.  So, he obiviously is proud of his heritage, as he should be.  He probably was enamored by the bobbers that he saw running around London as a kid and has since melded that theme (seen recently in the exquisitely executed prototype Triumph Trackster) and the American chopper style to create his own very respectable motorcycle.

And yes, it was Russell Mitchell that invented the twist grip clutch.  That only adds to my respect of his abilities.  In the vein of Leonardo Da Vinci, he seems to be and artist as well as an engineer