News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fueling problem

Started by jimmead, May 01, 2013, 01:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmead

Hi All,
I posted a thread a while ago about needle height settings for my 94 Tiger? I still cant get the ole girl running properly and need some help if possible?

The full story so far;
Ive had this bike since around 98, so we go back away?
However, Shes only been used sporadically cos I have another bike and access to several through my work (My Boss is a generous petrol head and lets some of us have free use of his stable!)
She is a 94 YM with only just over 16k. She is always kept in my integral (nice and warm and dry) garage?
I dragged her out about 2 years ago fired her up and she ran rough and spewed fuel out of every orifice?
I checked her over and found the engine full to the brim with petrol.
drained everything down and stripped the carbs, rebuilding them with new orings.
At the same time I fitted a lovely set of Venom cans that I had picked up as a real bargain (These were new and the manufacturer told me I shouldnt need to rejet?)

I then started Her up and She ran as rough as She had before I stripped the carbs.
At the time I was also rebuilding my Ducati 748R, so I stuck the Tiger back in the garage and forgot all about it?
I have now written off my Ducati (gutted is the understaement of the century!) thanks to some dopey Woman that swerved across the road and hit me head on? So I need to use the Tiger again for a while?

Ive now stripped the carbs more times than I care to recall and double checked everything.
However, She still wont run properly: She starts and idles beautifully, but rapid throttle movement causes Her to bog down and nearly stall? I can get Her to rev if I gradually wind the throttle back although the revs build in a massive rush?
At the moment, the needles are set in the middle position and the pilot screws are 2 turns out?
All jets are standard UK. Everything seems OK, orings all new, diaphrams intact, needles and jets etc in good cond according to visual inspection with my dodgy mince pies?

I know I should have made sure the carb issues were sorted before I fitted the cans, but as usual I was in a rush and cutting corners.
Im trying to avoid changing the cans back, cos the new ones were a real bitch to align?
I spoke to my local friendly Triumph dealer who wants £80.00 per hour to have a look see!!
I am on the brink of biting the bullet and spending money with a munkenik unless I can sort this myself

So Can anyone suggest what I might try, or recommed a familiar tech local to Hertfordshire that will know the breed?

Appreciate your attention, Best regards, Jim :doubt

Mustang

your pilot jets and passage ways are still blocked.....................

jimmead

I've had all jets out cleaned them and ensured that they are clear, applied copious amounts of solvent cleaner to every orifice, and blown the whole lot through with compressed air?
What could I have missed??
Regards, Jim :doubt

Mustang

keihins or mikunis ?
sounds like plugged pilot circuit on at least 1 carb to me . ..........
I go through the same scenario every spring on at least two of the four tiggers .
It's the mikunis that behave the worst .
It's the pilots every time . :hat10

jimmead

Mikuni?
Where does the pilot circuit run from the jet?
I was certain everything had a good flow of air through it when I applied the compressor nozzle?
Is it possible to insert a wire or something that will find the blockage?
thanks for your patience  :thumbsup

Mustang

see that little bitty hole in front of the butterfly thats where the pilot ends up

also you may need to sync the carbs , that butterfly should be open just a tad or the carb wont work at idle or just  off idle .

turn your pilot mixture screws in so they are at 1 1/2 turns from closed , works better on the mikunis .

you only have 1 carb that is causing the problem at idle and lo speed by the sounds of it .

have you tried dumping some sea foam or whatever you guys on the wrong side of the pond use

see this thread here
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,11967.0.html

rf9rider

The Venom cans are fine, with no jetting required.

I`ve had the same problem as you, it was the pilot circuit as Mustang has said.

You need to clean them through by carefully poking something through the hole, i used a single strand of wire  from a wire brush.

I`ve tried cleaning them with an airline, but found it doesn`t clean them properly.

I always add redex once a month when i fill up the tank, and regularly start and run the bike, thats cured my problem.

jimmead

:notworthy
Hi All

Last night I took the bleedin carbs off and stripped them AGAIN!! (I am confident that I can now do this blindfolded?)

Bingo, I found that the tiny little hole above the pilot screw was blocked on number 1 carb!!
I reckon I must have used up £25 of carb cleaner so far, when all I really needed was a tiny poke in the right hole, if you pardon the expression?

She fired up and revs OK now. still a little bit hesitant but a reckon when my pilot screw adjusting tool arrives I'll have her running like a dream?

I'm gonna try a drop of Profi fuel Max for good measure as well?

Thanks for your help with this, Jim :wave :thumbsup :notworthy

Mustang

:eusa_clap

time to ride the big dog , any roughness will come out of her in the first 100 miles ,sooner with seafoam, redex, or the profi stuff................

recroy

I feel you Jim. I've only owned my tiger since may of last year but I swear I've had the carbs out at least half a dozen times. All my other bikes (Honda's) have run keihin carbs and to tell you the truth I have never had a problem with them. I find these mikuni's very difficult to work with. they are poorly designed especially in the pilot circuits. I'm definitely going to do a carb swap asap as I just don't have enough confidence in these carbs. BTW. If any of you guys know where I can get ahold of a set of keihins for a reasonable price I'll be yer best friend!!! :rock-1:
'94 steamer  '87 transalp

Mustang

when mikunis are clean and properly set up, the midrange and wfo pull will kick a keihins ass  :hat10

recroy

That's good to know. I'm more concerned about reliability. It seems to me that the mikunis are just way to sensitive and that is affecting my confidence levels when it comes to taking a long distance trip.
'94 steamer  '87 transalp

Mustang

keihins will gum up the pilots also after sitting all winter ........ it might be all in my head but they seem to come back into it a little bit quicker than the mikunis do.