News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help. High tickover.

Started by blacktiger, February 04, 2013, 04:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacktiger

So, I finally got round to fitting a new throttle cable. All seems OK now. I think my original problem was a combination of things, like old, worn and dirty throttle cable, plus butterfly pivots a bit stiff. Just lubricating the butterfly pivots improved things but now, with the new cable fitted, they snap back to idle so much easier.
Group ride on Sunday will be the real test but blipping the throttle on my patio and it drops straight down to tickover and is spot on. Brilliant!!
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

metalguru

Good to hear that all is ok.
For the benefit of others and whoever is interested in preventive maintenance, I have been using one of these at service time on all the control cables.

And this for lube as teflon based.

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

iansoady

I still stick with the plasticine funnel myself.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

blacktiger

Quote from: metalguru on May 02, 2013, 11:09:53 AM
Good to hear that all is ok.
For the benefit of others and whoever is interested in preventive maintenance, I have been using one of these at service time on all the control cables.

I've got one of those somewhere and, if it is the same, the reason I'm not keen is that it requires a cut in the outer sheathing of the cable which, ultimately, lets the weather in and then more maintenance is required.

metalguru

Not sure what type you have there Howard but these are non-invasive.
They clamp on the cable, best at the top so gravity helps the lube. One end of the cable needs to be removed from the bike, ie Throttle or clutch from the handlebar end.
The end of the outer sheath is positioned about half way along the tool with the inner wire protruding from the other.
the tool is clamped up so it seals around both inner and outer, then the lube administered through the hole in the tool until it comes out the other end.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

blacktiger

Quote from: metalguru on May 02, 2013, 03:27:17 PM
Not sure what type you have there Howard but these are non-invasive.
They clamp on the cable, best at the top so gravity helps the lube. One end of the cable needs to be removed from the bike, ie Throttle or clutch from the handlebar end.
The end of the outer sheath is positioned about half way along the tool with the inner wire protruding from the other.
the tool is clamped up so it seals around both inner and outer, then the lube administered through the hole in the tool until it comes out the other end.

Sounds just the same as Ian's funnel which is how I do it for the clutch cable. Although I use a rubber funnel not plasticene.