News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hello again, Fuel consumption/exhaust question (again)

Started by maddog666, May 07, 2013, 01:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog666

Hi there, and hello again (aint been on here this year).

due to working away ive only just dug the bike out of the garag this year and taken it out on its first run. (2001 885i).

The bike seems to be using far too much fuel (half a tank for a 40 mile run).

before putting it to bed last year id fitted a TOR pipe (without the map) and am wondering if this could have anything to do with it.

Going to put the std one back on and run it this week on the same journey to see what happens.

Fingers crossed, but any other info appreciated.

........p.s. the TOR is still a very quiet pipe, brought it into work today as the fixings had been rounded off at the end with a hope to drilling these out and taking the end section off to remove additional baffles.....only to find its a sealed unit.

Any recomendations for a different back pipe with a better sound (prior to me butchering this one and welding it back together)

Thaanks again.

M@

HockleyBoy

Are you sure the bike has actually used half a tank and it's not just the fuel gauge?, they do have a tendennce to be innacurate.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

maddog666

I thought that at first as it started happening back end of last year.

But on a run to Sheffield from Hull the Fuel light came on also and I was riding with other people who had also set off with full tanks (CBR900, VFR750) and mine was empty....I put it down to Motorway riding at 100mph constantly with a pillion and camping gear (thinking that mine was having to rev higher to keep the speed up compared to the sports tourers that they where on).

As ive not touched it since as have been working away id not paid it much thought until I got back on it yesterday.

...........problems aside it was fantastic to be out on it again so I hope I solve the problem as I love the bike :-)

Bixxer Bob

A full tank in 80 miles  :icon_eek:-

I'm surprised it runs at all.   first regardless of pipe it will be relatively quiet if it's massively rich (ask Mr Honda), next -  load a clean map for your can and reset the trims (12 minute tune).  My guess (and it's only a guess) is you have, or have had, a massive air leak that's caused the o2 sensor to trim it very rich.  A situation not helped by the TOR can.  Or a fuel leak......

Oh, and buy a Blue Flame  :hat10  Although I am quite interested in the stubbies available now  :icon_razz:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

maddog666

Thanks for the info.

Thats the confusing part of it.....it runs fine.

Tick over is fine, acceleration is fine and everything else seems to be running ok.
Theres no signs of a fuel leak ive been all over it so its very confusing.

MOT time in a few weeks so going to look at loading a map update.

Put the std can back on last night and am going to do the same journey again tonight to see if it makes a difference (long shot), tbh there isnt that much sound difference. You cant even remove the baffles from the TOR as its a sealed unit.

Has anyone ever chopped the end off and removed the guts? I was thinking of doing that to the TOR to see what it did to the sound  :rock-1: as the wife has just booked a holiday with my blue flame cash  :icon_lol:

Bixxer Bob

:icon_idea: There's a post on here somewhere where a guy stuck a long drill down the pipe and through the baffles, can't remember much else about it tho'   :icon_scratch:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NKL

I thought the TOR pipe was a straight through type, like all the others.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Bixxer Bob

Ah, maybe it was a standard can then..... the old brain cells aren't what they were  :icon_cry:

metalguru

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.