News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

HEALTHY RIDING

Started by TigerTrax, May 08, 2013, 04:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerTrax

Maybe this is a good subject for many.... maybe not.

In March I turned 68 years old. Over the past few years during
health check-ups my 'doc' says, " Are you still riding your motorcycle
those long distances?" The answer is yes.
He says, "Make certain when you stop for gas you walk around
and get blood flowing through your legs. Sitting for a couple of hours
in that position sets you up for blood clots. So try not to do that."

That got me thinking, I will now be wearing 'tall, compression socks'
that will help retain blood flow in my legs and throughout my body.
I've made it this far . .  maybe that will help give me a nudge to eek
out a few more years!

With all the hype about 'riding' and all the other safety factors we
subscribe to, maybe this should be part of it. Like wearing gloves,
we don't need them, but we know we should wear them.

If this is a good TOPIC ... maybe it deserves it's own heading and others can
contribute.      :icon_eek:

My 2ยข
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

threepot

I try and stop often when I'm out..need to these days,50+..tea/coffee stops lead to toilet stops! :icon_wink: Good point tho,thanks for bringing it to our attn :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: TigerTrax on May 08, 2013, 04:22:45 PM

That got me thinking, I will now be wearing 'tall, compression socks'
that will help retain blood flow in my legs and throughout my body.

some of us poor bastards have to wear them all of the time ..................whether on or off the bike  :wave

the harder they are to put on means you have the right size , when they go on easy ..they aint workin'

robxxxx

Our motorcycling GP advised my wife and I to wear them recently for a long flight later in the year, and for when we are touring.
I did notice last year during our ride to Romania that I seemed to have "fat" ankles at the end of long riding days.

Sin_Tiger

I try to remember to do some stretching before a longer run and during stops, I know my circulation is working when my hands get warm again  :icon_biggrin:  heated grips and gear has to in my top teen of great biking advancements in the last 30 years.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

I'm (a bit) younger than you but always try to stop & walk around every couple of hours or so. Although to be truthful after having a knee replacement last year my riding has been somewhat curtailed - hopefully this year will be better.

I think riding a bike is probably better than things like flying as you're flexing your ankles to change gear / brake (assuming you're staying off motorways) plus you can stretch them fairly easily but the point is well taken.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

aeronca

i like to getmy blood flowing by kicking bumpers in traffic :icon_biggrin:  then i also pull over and walk and stretch.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

TripleTragic

I think I almost move around more while I am on the bike than I do getting off and walking around. I had (and will do again) a tank on my speed triple that I could get about 580km out of, I could run that out, stop fill up and hop straight back on and do it again all day.  The secret for me was to always be moving and not sit on the bike like a stone, no matter how straight the road was.
Good things come in Threes

Advwannabe

I don't geddit? Don't you just ride standing on the pegs for five minutes or so per hour?

We own the perfect bike for it. Not so good at 70-80 mph I guess.

On my IBA runs I'll deliberately ride taking my weight with my bum just off the seat for a minute or so a couple of times per hour, stretch the legs out as I'm riding along and stand up going through all the little towns.

It's not illegal in Oz yet or if it is the cops aren't enforcing it. 

Edit: I turn 50 in a few weeks. Am I old enough to start complaining about my aches and pains? Am I ?
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Sin_Tiger

Welcome to being older Bro  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

TigerT

Don't write yourself off too soon. My great grandad rode bikes into his 80's and this was in the 1950's so crap bikes and kit. I helped instruct a bloke through his CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) recently who was 72 and never ridden before and a local chap to us still rides trials at 84. Just keep fit, eat well and don't worry about doctors, they live no longer than anyone else!
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

threepot

Bikes weren't crap in the 50's..just not as good as they are now. Saying that,would you swap what you ride now for say, a Vincent Black Shadow?? Now that was one hell of a bike from the 50's :notworthy
95 Super111
96 Tiger