News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thought I had an oil leak

Started by matts23, May 18, 2013, 05:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matts23

I was thinking that I was leaking oil from from my neutral sensor, but I think that I just need to clean more often.

My buddy tells me that I am using too much chain lube, but I am at almost 17,000 miles and no tight links and no hooking on my sprockets, so I guess I am using just the right amount.  I have been wanting to test drive an Explorer XC, but after a good cleaning I still love this thing and I like not having payments even better.

I hope when it is as old as mine, my buddies new Multistrada GT is a reliable and fun to own as my $4000 Tiger.

I got my work ahead of me keeping up with that 160hp monster this summer, but can't wait to do some road tripping with him.
----------------------------------------------------------

2002 Tiger (Roulette Green)
1996 Honda XR400R Supermoto St. Legal

Spud

30 k plus on original chain I tend to over lube but I keep an eye on the mess around the chain a good clean with a bit of paraffin usually sorts it out cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

You might be presently surprised how well the tiger compares, had a bit of a duce with a friends MS today while riding another friends Striple, he was not best pleased eating 675 dust  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

They way you avoid the crap on the sprocket cover is Wurth Dry Lube,you'll still get some build up but not a lot.

The comparison,if you have a bog stock 955 and come up against a Multi you won't know which way it went and probably end up seasick trying to keep up!!,a stock Multi does around 125hp,with a pipe and map 130,the picture you show is a Skyhook so the suspension will be something that you dream about on your 955,it took me 10 years to get my 955 even remotely close.

With an open can/fuel map/new front springs with 15wt oil and increased capacity/airbox mod and 19t sprocket and an aftermarket rear shock you'll cut the gap down by some margin,but a 25hp gap is what it is and I haven't forgot the first time I bumped into twin, a well ridden KTM adventurer,but when you over 80mph the twins advantage is null and void,but on the road you'll never be able to combat a 17" wheel with a 19".

But hey a 955 is cheap  :icon_lol:

Dutch

The Americans have this saying "there is no replacement for displacement". But I also came across the saying "the weakest part in motorcycle technology is the nut that connects the handle bars to the seat"    :occasion14

A good rider will be quicker and safer than a eh.. not so good rider, regardless of the bikes the're on.

matts23

I do already have exhaust, remap, fork springs, 15w oil in the forks and a K&N filter.  Next time it comes apart the airbox mod is getting done.  I want to go to 17" wheels, but I think my only option is to send my wheels out to be relaced to 17" rims.  I need to get some measurements off of a set of 1050 wheels and see if they can be remachined to fit in my bike like I did with some CBR wheels on my XR400 supermoto.  I am not sure that a big 1050 front wheel will fit in my forks though.  Maybe I need a full 1050 front end for my 955?  I really like the new Tiger 1050 sport, but it is not coming to the US. :icon_cry:

Sin_Tiger

Trade up to a1050, do some minor mods with a remap and a decent aftermarket can and you won't be a kick in the arse off a sport  :hat10
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Quote from: matts23 on May 20, 2013, 02:26:56 AM
I do already have exhaust, remap, fork springs, 15w oil in the forks and a K&N filter.  Next time it comes apart the airbox mod is getting done.  I want to go to 17" wheels, but I think my only option is to send my wheels out to be relaced to 17" rims.  I need to get some measurements off of a set of 1050 wheels and see if they can be remachined to fit in my bike like I did with some CBR wheels on my XR400 supermoto.  I am not sure that a big 1050 front wheel will fit in my forks though.  Maybe I need a full 1050 front end for my 955?  I really like the new Tiger 1050 sport, but it is not coming to the US. :icon_cry:

I orinally went the laced rim route,the problem being having to use a large rear inner tube and having to carry a spare with you as they somewhat of a rarity.

Decided to go the Dymag route.

Here it is covered in crap from riding to Mugello.

But I've no doubt their are cheaper options,just means having to do a lot of home work,as I have seen other 955's with other mag wheels,just like doing the front mudguard mod easy when you've done it.

matts23

A couple questions about custom wheels.  I found a place that for about $500, will lace me up an Excel 17x3.5" rim to a spare stock front hub that I bought on eBay awhile back.  I am good with that.  I noticed that the new R1200GS comes with a 170 rear tire on it.  Does anyone think that I could go that wide on my 4.25" stock rear wheel or do you think it will make the profile of the tire too sharp?  I am assuming that I will need to have my rear hub laced to a wider rim but was hoping not too mess with my stock wheels and I only have a spare front hub.  Anyone have an opinion on this?  Thanks, Matt

Sin_Tiger

A 170 on a 4.25 will be a stretch. 5.00 will keep the casing profile closer to the designed shape.

Dutch

Indeed a 170 is designed for a 5.00 inch rim. See for example the Bridgestone site. Bridgestone is one of the few if not only maker that lists for what size rim the tires are suited.

The new 1200 GS and the KTM 1190 have both gone to a 170 rear. Both bikes have a bit more power and torque than the 955i. And the old 1200 GS (still available in Adventure) runs a 150 like most allroads.

Chris Canning

Quote from: matts23 on May 24, 2013, 05:03:57 AM
A couple questions about custom wheels.  I found a place that for about $500, will lace me up an Excel 17x3.5" rim to a spare stock front hub that I bought on eBay awhile back.  I am good with that.  I noticed that the new R1200GS comes with a 170 rear tire on it.  Does anyone think that I could go that wide on my 4.25" stock rear wheel or do you think it will make the profile of the tire too sharp?  I am assuming that I will need to have my rear hub laced to a wider rim but was hoping not too mess with my stock wheels and I only have a spare front hub.  Anyone have an opinion on this?  Thanks, Matt

Well I bought a secondhand rear wheel and had the hub relaced,I was always wary of buying a secondhand front,and the net makes this world far to small to go into how I resolved that situation,but I ended up with a brand new hub.

I'd go with a bigger rim,but while it was some time ago $500 seems expensive to me just for a front,and before you do that I'd do plenty of home work on 17" wheels from other Triumphs of that era,as that will be far cheaper and no inner tubes.

matts23

I was checking into it, but I thought only the Trophy wheels were able to be used.  If I remember correctly the speedo drive is on the wrong side of them and can't remember all of the modifications that need to be made.   Trophy wheels also bend very easily according to others on here.  I am still not totally opposed to using them because I would like to go tubeless.

Chris Canning

I'd be looking at the likes of Sprint RS or 595(955) or early 955 Daytona came out a few months after the 955 Tiger,certainly the RS has the same speedo drive just on the other side turn the wheel round and space accordingly,I'd also keep an eye on ebay I've seen several pairs of Dymags for Tigers in various configurations both 3 spoke and 5 spoke.