News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is this the dreaded DAR??

Started by DWNUNDR, June 01, 2013, 07:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWNUNDR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_3AsMFKf34&feature=youtu.be

has sounded bad since all the other stuff has gone wrong... ie: running like crap....

trying to get it going after winter I was using the starter a lot... I think maybe I damaged it?!?!?!?!?

1996 Tiger - which is pissing me off right now
2010 KLX110L for playing with the kids on the track out back...

Mustang

you are NOT running on all three cylinders at idle

either you have still failed at getting the carbs sorted or you have coil problems

Mustang

have you removed the pilot jets and cleaned ?
not the pilot screws but the jets themselves
have you replaced the orings on the float assemblies ?
how many miles on bike?

fly me , I'll buy it .fix it and ride it home to NH. (even though it's not the cool black ones) :ImaPoser

DWNUNDR

i took everything that screws out out.... cleaned, ran drill bits by hand, high pressure air thru, ultrasonic cleaning, ran a ox torch cleaning file/bit thru every passage that I could, sprayed it thoroughly with carb cleaner........  didnt change o-rings on fuel bowl...

I also have spark on all three coils... though it was only checked with a screwdriver to ground to see if spark was happening... so I dont know what else to do... seriously...  any hints...

it is just shy of 27K on the clock... not sure what history is with the bike.. I got it with around 24K on it

I even sealed up joints on side air boxes, tightened exhaust bolts, checked oil levels,

Oh and it would be cheaper to light a match then fly you out hahahah but looking at it I cant do that... I do like it.. just not right now..

DWNUNDR

MUSTANG:

so I went and lifted the tank... started teh bike and took of a connector off of each coil... the 2 ont eh right side stalled the bike.. the one on the left made no difference.. so I would deduct the coil is bad...

though when I checked with a screwdriver the other day before all the carb cleaning there was spark at the plug end on all three?!?!

edit:  just re-checked and cyl 1 although if I disconnect the coil nothing changes it still has spark when plug is pulled and fired up... good spark...

Is there any chance of removing #2 plug while motor is in bike???

DWNUNDR

replaced plugs...

no change...!

next step is I am going to switch coil pack places... see if the noise appears to move....

seems to get spark on all 3 but only 2 coil packs have an effect when a wire is disconnected....

Solon

My bike runs fine, but, when playing with coil,  the same happens: when I disconnect the coil that goes to the first cylinder in the left, it seems to have no effect on the engine, while removing any of the other two causes a significant change in its smoothness or kills it. I replaced, in turns, the coils with the set I have on my other Tiger, and the same happens.
So I suppose it is normal that removing coil no. 1 has no evident effect on the way the engine runs, unlike the other two. I wonder why this happens?

DWNUNDR

dang it.. then that leaves me no where hahaha

maybe it's still a carb issue... I do not know how I can clean these any more....

I just got excited over my bike again yesterday and today... I am ready to burn it in the back yard....

DWNUNDR

well switch coils around... no real noticeable difference... but now its not as loud.... the clacking.. I mean there is some of that which almost sounds like it normally does.. so I guess the thing left to do is go for a ride and see if it runs...

Mustang

the coils are probably good .

do you have a carb stick or means to synch the three carbs by vacuum setting ?

DWNUNDR

nope...

another question is I see many times here and on other posts that the pilots should be 1.5-2 turns but there was suggestion of something else that needed turing? or did I just read it wrong?

threepot

Worth taking carbs off,check that the spring under the diaphragm cap is located ok. My bike ran like that after a carb strip-down..spring wasn't located right. Worth a look? :icon_scratch: Check the diaphragms too.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ssevy

To check for spark, why not take a spare plug, attach it to the coil you are checking and be sure it is grounded? Leave the other one in the head where it belongs. I always use this method to check the spark on my Farmall Cub; don't know why it wouldn't work here?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

DWNUNDR

ssevy:  spark was checked with a screwdriver the same way... it conducts spark... also I had no spare plugs that fit :(

I did have one spring all messed up in the diaphragm and I fixed that one... the needle was all the way up... I actually woke up this morning thinking... I wonder if that is causing an issue when I put it back... I think I can get that one out while on teh bike... might check it today

Henry James

have you checked compression.  You may need to adjust your intake valves.