News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Smoked Wiring Harness - How to test Side Stand Relay?

Started by TrailR, June 03, 2013, 01:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrailR

I had a setback on the Tiger.  I finally pulled if off the lift and road it a block....then pushed it home a block...waving at the neighbors both directions.   :wave

Long story short, the harness was toasted with the damage appearing to start at the side stand relay.

I have replaced the main harness and want to make sure I am testing everything correctly, so I could use some assistance on how to proceed with testing clutch switch, side stand switch and the relay as a system.

Here are the components that check out:

Continuity on the side stand switch in both positions.

Continuity on the clutch switch (I did have to disassemble to get this to work correctly, must have been some slight corrosion)

Relay will engage with neutral light.

When does the relay engage?  It appears to only engage on neutral at this point.  Shouldn't I be able to put the bike in first gear and then cycle side stand and clutch in some magical sequence to test the other scenarios?

I am looking for an assist before I start this up again.

John Stenhouse

I presume you've tried the obvious ways of testing this?

Try starting it without pulling the clutch in, shouldn't even turn over, starter button shouldn't do anything.

Pull clutch and it will start.

Then having started it with the sidestand down, put it in gear, should stop the engine instantly.

If both those happen then the switches work as intended.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting