News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Beam pattern on dipped headlight

Started by speedfin, June 08, 2013, 12:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedfin

In for the MOT on my 1999 Tiger and the tester noticed that my right headlight on dipped beam was putting out a 'continental' beam pattern, ie when sat on the bike and projecting onto a wall it was higher on the right than the left.  the opposite of what it should be for driving on the left ( the left headlight dipped beam seams to be completely flat).
Sorted out at the time with the quick application of a bit of black insulating tape but it left the question of why.
My thought was that maybe sometime in the past the headlight had been changed by a previous owner who did a lot of European touring but looking at the lens and comparing it with pictures that I managed to find on the net of tiger headlights it doesn't appear any different.  Also, taking off the fairing and looking at the back of the lights they don't look as if they have been changed in that they both show the same 'patina' of 14 years of neglect :)
Anyone else come across anything like this.
Not really a problem but interesting.
Cheers
John

John Stenhouse

It's not that someone has put the relay in to get both lights working, or shouldn't be, because mine is a 2000my and it has both lights on as standard.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

speedfin

Hi, yes mine also has both on as standard - it's just that the dipped beam pattern on the right hand lamp isn't correct for the UK.

iansoady

It's the lamp lens that gives the kick up - if you look at it you'll see a wedge shaped area (where the tape is on this pic if it's a UK lens). If the shape is on the other side it'll be for LHD.

Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

speedfin

Yes, I had to put tape on the other side of the lens to get rid of the kick-up so it looks like like I've got a 'drive on the right' lens in my headlight - thanks.

Sin_Tiger

If you look closely at the lens, you will see an arrow that indicates which direction the dip aside is, i.e. your's should both point towards the curb. If the problem one doesn't then you have a Euro lens.

The arrows should both be right at the base of the lens and absolutely horizontal, if not then it could be your lens unit is not fitted correctly.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

You could fit a switch and relay to switch between them so no need for the tape sur le continent......

I have mine rigged so that only the left one comes on on dip (as I don't believe that daytime headlights significantly improve visibility and to reduce alternator load) but both on main beam.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

speedfin

Thanks - no arrows on either mine.

So probably a previous owner changed them - which could be the case as the bike had done 67,000 miles when I bought it and I believe it has done a lot of European touring.

As it happens I've got a sidecar attached with a full power main/dip lamp attached to it so I've disconnected the dip beam on the left hand bike headlight just to keep the load down on the alternator a bit as a lot of my daytime riding in anything other than our few days of summer is with the heated grips and heated jacket switched on.

to disconnect it, all I did was chop off the dip beam pin on the back of the bulb itself.

This is the rig if it is of any interest

Sin_Tiger

If they don't have the arrow they won't be E marked either, so lord knows where they came from or how old they are!  Well you've found a solution that works for you,  nice rig  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

speedfin

Thanks,
As far as I can see I've got the E markings but no arrows.
Here's a couple of pics.

iansoady

That's interesting - the lower pic shows a standard UK lens; the upper one looks as though it would kick up on both sides!
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

John Stenhouse

That looks like the set up from a later bike with only one light on when dipped
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

I thought I could see an arrow just above the E mark on the second pic but nothing on the first one.  Think Ian and John are probably right in that case.

iansoady

Actually, while cleaning mine up I happened to notice that my headlights are just like yours! 2004 Girly wire wheels model.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650