News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Geartrain backlash at rear wheel.

Started by London_Phil, June 09, 2013, 05:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Hello Boys and Girls.
Just wondered if anyone had an idea of the amount of free play at rear wheel rim on a steamer in gear.
I had fun commuting in London last week, for the 1st time, and found the Tigger to be quite "jerky" at low speed, and noticed there was around an inch of movement at the rear rim with bike on centre stand and in any gear. I know its not a loose sprocket, I have checked. Its gear lash at the output shaft. Just wondered what was acceptable?, any thoughts? I would assume that balancing the carbs will help to smooth it out, but I was suprised at the way it felt in London Traffic. Regards Phil

TripleTragic

Good things come in Threes

ned37

the shape of the engagement dogs on the gears will cause rotational freeplay of about that much.  it's normal.
if its jerky when cruising at average speed it's probably carbs.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e