News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tab welding advice

Started by 97tiger885, June 18, 2013, 10:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

This is what I have: a broken Givi mount and a broken rear frame tab.  I will take the mount to a local shop and get it rewelded.  What do I do about the broken tab?  Below is a shot of its location.  Can a welder take the broken piece and weld it back on given its size, shape and location?  Or is it better to cut off the old tab and weld some kind of replacement onto the frame?

rf9rider

If that was mine, i`d get a complete new tab welded on, i think the old tab will always have a weak spot  and probably break again.

Just my opinion.  :icon_biggrin:

DWNUNDR

the weld shop should be able to clean it up and re-weld it.. or make a replacement tab... pretty simple and straight forward job really...

and as far as the weld being weaker... only if the person cant weld.. and doesnt prep it correctly before the fix
1996 Tiger - which is pissing me off right now
2010 KLX110L for playing with the kids on the track out back...

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

97tiger885

Thanks for the input.  I plan to take it to a local old-school mc shop I trust.  They can do simple welding.  I will see what they recommend.