News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Are you a Handlebar expert?

Started by robxxxx, June 19, 2013, 01:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robxxxx

I'm still looking at new bikes, but I seem to have a problem with a lot of the new crop of "adventure" bikes. Their too wide. I need the handlebars to be no more than 900mm. I have been looking at handlebar spec for the past few weeks and it's just doing my head in.
Am I right in assuming that if I wish to avoid contact with the tank or screen, I would need a higher "rise" and a bigger "sweep". Is it that simple?

JTT

Bars are like choosing oils or gloves, everyone has their opinions.  Personally I like bars high enough to stand on the pegs and reach comfortably, and very little sweep (very straight).  I ended up with ProTaper SE XR50 bars (yes, minibike).  I think lower rise wouldn't be an issue based on my experience.  Stock bars have a lot of sweep, so if you like that, it shouldn't be an issue.  My very straight bars "just" contact the windshield at the extremes of turn, but no big deal.

An old MX trick was to sit on the bike, close your eyes and reach out for the "would be" bars.  Take note, or have someone else observe and note the position of your wrists (will tell how much or how little sweep you want), the natural rise and width. 
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Sin_Tiger

+1 when I was mucking around with seat and risers, I got someone to take photos at three same time.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Advwannabe

I have Rox Risors on my 955 and have been able to adjust the stock bar exactly how I want it.

I did have to remove one of the brake line anchors but didn't have to replace the lines
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

robxxxx

The width is the all important thing.
The Explorer is shown as 962mm wide at the bars. But like so many bikes these days it's not just a simple case of me cutting 63mm off the bars. Like I said, this would cause problems with the bars hitting the tank or screen. I had thought about risers, but I assume I would need bars with a bit more sweep.
I have also had a look round to see if I could find a custom bar manufacturer, but I am struggling to find anyone. 

akendall1966

Buy a hacksaw! Making bars narrower is easy, but wider  it trïcker :o Seriously though lot of enduro riders cut thiers bars down for woods riding. Just need  to make sure there is enough space before  the bend for controls  and switches.
----AK-----