News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Charging Disaster - Just before big trip - Appeal for help.

Started by sweller, June 21, 2013, 09:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweller

On my way back from the IoM TT a couple of weeks ago my 1996 Tiger failed with no charge - that was traced to a dodgy connection but the kind AA man jury rigged a bypass to get me going (not until I'd been on three recovery trucks...mutter..grumble 10hrs etc)

Anyway, I fitted one of these to prevent a repeat:
http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/products/product_eclipse810.html

What the voltage indicator does show is at 70mph+ the bike is overcharging; it shows green until about 70mph then flashes green/red (indicating over 15.2v)

I double checked with a voltmeter across the battery and the charge increases in proportion to the revs and just keeps rising; I got it up to 15.8 volts before shutting the throttle (at a guess 6000 rpm).

My money's on a failed reg/rec - which I assume is integral with the alternator.

My problem is I set sail on the Triumph this Friday (28th June) to Istanbul and back via Bulgaria, Romania, Bosnia, Serbia etc on a camping trip -  So I need to get it fixed sharpish.

Can the reg/rec be replaced by itself?
Are the Alternators common across machines - if so which ones?
Is an alternator swap straightforward - no nasty surprises?
Does anyone in the UK have one they want to sell?

I really need to get something sorted Monday as I'm away with work Tues and Weds - Thursday is starting to cut it a bit fine!  Unfortunately this weekend I'm in Birmingham, away from the bike!

Can anyone help?
Simon

Brighton
England

Geoff W

The voltage regulator is situated under the alternator end cover 3 screws to remove.. Remove the brush holder, 3 screws, then the regulator 2 screws. I replaced mine some 7-9 years ago , when my Steamer started burning out many headlight bulbs and boiling the battery. I have had no bother since then. I seem to remember that it cost about £45. It looks like a standard Nissin Denso part so a good motorbike spares place may have one. I have just had a quick look for the old one , but cannot find it. Good luck with the trip.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

akendall1966

There are a few alternators on ebay at the  moment
M
----AK-----

TripleTragic

If you are a little technically minded and would like to fix it yourself, look at this thread over at that other Triumph forum:
http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/134079-dissecting-the-nd-25-amp-alternator.html

It contains some very detailed and thorough work.
Good things come in Threes