News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sidestand bend

Started by 97tiger885, June 30, 2013, 12:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

The mc was beginning to lean a bit too much on the sidestand.  I took the time to replace it with a spare.   Much better.  Now I want to bend the original so that it is ready when the replacement bends too much.  I compared the two.  There didnt seem to be much of a difference.  I even traced the bend of the new stand on paper.  The plan is to get a shop to do the bending.  Where should I bend the old one, how much and should I have any other mods done?

Solon

Mine was a little bent too, I hammered it thoroughly after some "accurate" eye-measurement, now you can't tell the difference, taking it to a shop seems too much of a bother.

97tiger885

Quote from: Solon on June 30, 2013, 11:46:33 AM
Mine was a little bent too, I hammered it thoroughly after some "accurate" eye-measurement, now you can't tell the difference, taking it to a shop seems too much of a bother.

So, no heat?   A big hammer only?  I dont have an anvil.  I dont know if my Sears vise would survive.  Thanks for the info.

Solon

Mine was only slightly bent, didn't need heat. If yours is more seriously bent, heat might help.

Geoff W

My replacement side-stand started to bend as much as the original one had. I took it to an agricultural/HGV fitter friend. He heated it with an Oxy-Acetyline torch and bent it straight with an old scaffolding pipe and a mel-hammer. It is now much better. Sometimes I need to be careful if the ground is uneven as getting the stand down can necessitate leaning the bike the opposite way. But it is much happier stood at a sensible angle now.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

coachgeo

An old Jeeper's trick for Tie rods that bend when off roading.  you take angle iron... one or two pieces and "clamp" then to the rod.  Even a bunch of hose clamps work fine.  It will strengthen it but if it does bend again you can unclamp and re-straighten easier than one that has been reinforced.   Also you have a spare piece of angle iron available for trail repairs  :XXsunsmile

On a bike guess you would want to pull the spring little tighter to hold the extra weight.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)