News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

tiger 955i dont start

Started by rcgomes, July 03, 2013, 10:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcgomes

hello to all my bike has behaved beautifully and I am very satisfied! but I have not been riding a lot lately because I had surgery and when I got the garage(underground) the battery was discharged and placed the charge again with Ctek. the next morning the bike cranking but never start until  the battery (Dynavolt) go down and loses power,charge again etc, repeat several times and nothing! until came up the idea of ​​connecting cables to the car (with it off) have more power cranking, but still nothing!. last year i put new fuel pump, the solenoid is working, i have fuel in thank ... it will be a long standing problem with oil? I'm confused! the bike has 20,000 Klm the plugs need to stay ok. thanks

all fuses are OK, not possible push down the bike because stay in a garage  under the ground, need to climb aloot impossible :icon_cry:

Dutch

Hope your recovery from surgery is all well.

How long has the bike not been used? Does Portugal have ethanol in the fuel? It's EU so I guess 5-10% ?

rcgomes

Quote from: Dutch on July 04, 2013, 10:11:56 AM
Hope your recovery from surgery is all well.

How long has the bike not been used? Does Portugal have ethanol in the fuel? It's EU so I guess 5-10% ?

hello Sir! we have unleaded 95 and 98! ethanol i dont know! but for sure the mafia put some water in fuel!or air!(and say is expensive because have good aditives)...  the bike stay at garage maby 90 days without go out for run. but sometimes i start the bike in garage for work! but this time dont start! i dont know if is the faut battery or something else! i go now in garage because i have the charger in the battery, and i make one video then i put here for try to see the problem. thank you

rcgomes

Good afternoon! Now came the garage and had the battery charged with CTEK xs800 and try start the bike, but now no cranking!! :icon_eek: when I press the starter button the light goes off and on, and bike nothing cranking!i listen fuel pump... can someone please tell what will be? the fuses are ok, this deposit with 70% fuel, has oil! God help :icon_cry:

here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDM4fZbokAA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5nOkgDLw9E&feature=youtu.be

metalguru

Glad you have recovered from surgery and all fixed now.
I am taking a guess here as remote diagnosis has to go in steps.
It seems the interlock circuit is not connecting.
Try moving the sidestand switch in and out and spray with a small amount of lube, not WD40 but something like a teflon type spray and work the switch for a few minutes, then try to start with the stand in the up position.
The clutch switch is the next to give the same treatment.
There are many more possibilities as the battery left on the bike to go discharged can give many problem. It is good practice to use leads from car battery with this as it will give you more time for starting and there is less possibility of creating more faults.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

iansoady

The headlights are supposed to go out when you press the starter button as that switches a relay - so the starter button is making connection.

That relay is powered from the same cable as the starter solenoid so I would suggest either the solenoid or a bad connection.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

rcgomes

i need to go at garagem see this in detail... is possible that the problem is also derived from  flooded spark plugs? thanks

rcgomes

good night, now already walked around the bike!

-switches ok
-fuses ok
-starter engine i dont know... i gave some strokes with key and nothing
-turned once more the cables in car battery and nothing
-disassembled the solenoid and auditioned connecting the battery and works, as shown in this video at minute 7:20 ( snap of the magnet) so solenoid ok

test and so lack the starter and perhaps the last spring button starter this faulty, I think of that!  some people said that if the battery is poor with the car cables connected the bike starts ... what you guys think?

PeteH

Reminds me of when mine would`nt start... thumb the starter and just got a click from the solenoid. My problem was with the wiring from the clutch switch... it had parted company just under the plastic shroud by the left fork, it was a black/ ground thats tied in with the solenoid/ starter, might be worth checking out for continuity if you have a multimeter or similar, the cockpit will need to be removed too to check it out fully.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Chris Canning

I'd be working backwards,can you bump start the bike and does it run ok if you can?, regardless of power off the car and how your battery is I put a new one on,and then work through the wireing.

There is a thread on here about all the block connectors,mine has never seen a winters day in it's life but the pins were scabby when I open them up.

lukeman

I know that for me, the starter will spin if the kickstand is down.   Have you tried to take out the starter and connect it to the battery directly to see if it spins?  That;s a sure fire way to test it.

Yeah i'd try to bump start it to see if it catches, get a few friends to push it if you can.  Can be helpful in narrowing down the culprit.  Also i'm sure you know, but don't ever have the the car running while jumping from it too much juice.

Cheers

rcgomes

hello, no i never star the car connected to the bike!! the problem here is if i press the start the bike don't crank and headlight goes off!!!but before it does cranking, but next minute dont crank anymore! i have new battery and tomorrow i go instal it and see what happens!! my bike never see winter!! so for me the cables need to work fine!!! perhaps the starter switch, but it put the headlight off so i assume the starter is good...make connection

the problem started when the bike stopped for long time... then I charged the battery and the bike trying to crank, but never start! and the batery goes flat... weak horn etc, so charge battery again... next day same thing,cranking and nothing! charge battery again... and next day i remember try jump start with car! so have more cranking power and for one time the bike almost start but die before that!

turn of and try again and no more cranking!!! only press starter and headlight goes off!!!  :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

Reading your last summary, I think that the new battery is going to sort your problem :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rcgomes

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 11, 2013, 10:14:17 PM
Reading your last summary, I think that the new battery is going to sort your problem :thumbsup

but weak battery with the help of the car should not start or wake up?

rcgomes

hello, new battery and the same problem!! i open starter button and is ok the spring is good! maby my alarm spy5000 giv a bad contact or something! but i have it turned off  :icon_scratch: