News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

tiger 955i dont start

Started by rcgomes, July 03, 2013, 10:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Have you had the plugs out and checked for a spark?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rcgomes

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 22, 2013, 01:24:33 AM
Have you had the plugs out and checked for a spark?

hi, no i dont check, but the bike have 21000 KLM, the spark plugs is supposed to last 25000 no? if i need to change them , i go to dealer because i dont like to Fu** the fuel plastic connectors like the last time!! it ended cost me a new fuel pump and new conectors, because i like to do all things alone!! :icon_mad:  well but i have in homme 3 iridium so if i need replace them maby is the deal... because the bike after this cranks,  almost start very difficulty (cranks for maby 5 seconds)
i go conect the solenoid back to place and then try to jump start with a screwdriver, if the bike cranks and dont start perhaps is plugs, because i think this plugs are original from 2004!!! this bike dont ride aloot only in vacations!! previous owner have bike colection and sell-me this for buy the Multiestrada 1200! and my case sometimes i pic up my litle brother crazy compressor bike scooter, good for city trafic and spend 3l100klm!, triumph is more for vacation trips or big weekends

the starter solenoid i can buy from ebay the from the first tigers 995 work in mine?? because have second hand cheap ones.

i dont see starter solenoid for sell in my triumph shop:

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/

thanks  :icon_salut:

after this movie all people are invited to come in Portugal, have meat and beer in table waiting!!!  :thumbsup

PeteH

So rcg, is it the solenoid? as in your first post you said that it was ok, also check out the links below for solenoids, check the year etc before ordering or I can ring them to check if they fit ok.

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=304126&block_03=23772

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/starter-motor-solenoid-universal-fit-17645-p.asp

The offer of beer and meat may have been taken a couple of years back as we holidayed in Sinterra :thumbsup
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

rcgomes

Quote from: PeteH on July 22, 2013, 11:43:07 PM
So rcg, is it the solenoid? as in your first post you said that it was ok, also check out the links below for solenoids, check the year etc before ordering or I can ring them to check if they fit ok.

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=304126&block_03=23772

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/starter-motor-solenoid-universal-fit-17645-p.asp

The offer of beer and meat may have been taken a couple of years back as we holidayed in Sinterra :thumbsup

hi,in the first posts i test the soneloid withdout multimeter... so i think is working because the magnet is cranking!!! but now i see no continuity!!! so i think solenoid is death!! but now have another problem the bike even with push start doesnt work so o think have another problems, maby the spark plug i need to test!! but bring out the fuel thank alone a lot of work!! only in weekend have time

is the down of Triumph... the dealer one day tell me this: triumph need a lot of work even for change something easy like air filter, is good for pay more hour ate mechanic, but the buyers like to avoid this, so the people go more for japs and germans, parts are more cheap and all people understand assemble very fast (because work with every day)

rcgomes

the squearedeals solenoid is different from mine!! mine is like this, need to have this conections, another solenoid is diffenrent cable conection

mine is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RICKS-STARTER-SOLENOID-SWITCH-TRIUMPH-TIGER-955-1999-2006-/271156434499?item=271156434499&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f222ed643

Bixxer Bob

Going back to the non-start RC,  you have to follow basic principles.  If it has spark and at the right time, it has fuel in roughly the right quantity, and compression it will at least cough.

In your case, if the plugs are wet after trying to bump start it, you can assume you have fuel. 

If the plugs spark when you crank it (I know you can't crank it at the moment, but you can after you replace the solenoid assuming that is your fault.

The ECU will take care of the amount of fuel and when the spark is so no worries there.

Compression. If you haven't a compression tester, then you can at least check your valve clearances to ensure the valves are opening and closing as they should.

For all of these, you are going to have to take the tank off.  And the valve cover.  This is daunting for a beginner but can be done and there is plenty of information in the "how to" section.

Good luck with your search for a solenoid.  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rcgomes

thanks! is this i need to do! someone please tell me the rates i need to have in  in each cilinder? i have the compresiion gauge!! i go to change the spark  for iridium for last maby 40K, and clean injectors! i like to try valve clean to but the manual dont show very good how to... for spark change need to take of fuel tank and air box  :icon_mrgreen:

But first ting is conect the solenoid back to place and try to jump start with screwdriver, if bike cranks at least solenoid is for sure death i guess  the death of solenoid i can assume is from the battery of the car conected burn the solenoid! because this happened after conected the cables! and i remember a lot of hot!! i talk now with dealer and they want 60€ for solenoid  :icon_eek:!! the net is the best!! more cheap and come to the door :icon_mrgreen: here we need to pax big taxes rates for the goverment ho spent all money in cars and houses for there family and friends etc need to do a revolution, this people play with honest citizen face  :icon_evil:

i will check the how to section :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

There won't be any need to clean the valves, just check the clearances.

Here's how:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=1qv9v4slpht72lgg6lgps5hbr1;topic=5386.msg34259#msg34259

At your mileage it's almost certain they will all be ok so no need for the shim tool unless you find one or two out of tolerance.

rcgomes

thanks and what need to do for spark plug change? only tank off and airbox off? i search and people say need to have a special kind of socket for access the plug :S i only have 1/2 wrench and sockets...

the spark plugs is 18mm right?

thanks

Bixxer Bob

Everything you need to get the plugs out is in the Triumph toolkit.  Its located behind two rubber bands under the seat.  And I mean the underside of the seat, not hidden among the frame Turn the seat over when you remove it. Memory is a bit foggy but almost certain its the pillion seat underside.  :icon_scratch:

rcgomes

hey thanks man, i never look in this toolbox thank God i never need them!! i make aloot of bigtrips but everithing goes alright!1

i wil check this out  :icon_biggrin:

this is very good post   :eusa_clap

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5025

rcgomes

hello can someone can please confirm with the store, if this solenoid works on a Triumph Tiger 955? I already sent several emails with no response! and call from Portugal is lot of expensive!! the announcement they have very little information ...

dont show good info if fits all triumph bikes?

(Fits many Triumph Applications) which??

much obliged

PeteH

I wil phone them tomorrow (Tuesday) but it does say to compare the image. Cant see it not working but you may need to change the switch wire connectors...stay tuned :icon_salut:

rcgomes

yes maby need to change, but is less, because the cheapest i see oem is 35pounds. yesterday i crank the bike using the screwdriver, so solenoid is realy death, i dont start the bike because aloot of bigspark smel a lot of burn  :icon_lol:

next year or so i go for the 1050! i see the new one in the street, is like a copy of the GS... crazy tank 250Kg :icon_frown: the best 1200 for me is the Multiestrada but $$$$

PeteH

Phoned them today and they have tried to send you an image of the solenoid, they confirm that in the picture the solenoid s in a rubber holder as is the OEM item, they reckon postage will be around £10 which puts the total not far short of a Triumph item. The connector to the switch wiring  is a bullet connection so may need the loom end changing to accept these or chop them off and fit a connector/chocky block.