News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cracked sump. Bloody.

Started by TripleTragic, July 04, 2013, 01:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleTragic

Quietly on may way to work yesterday morning when I hit something in the middle of the road.  Not only was I not "quietly" going anywhere any more due to the fact that it removed the cross pipe in the exhaust, but It also put a small crack in the rear of my sump, buggrit.

Is it possible to remove the sump on these without dropping the engine? or does the engine have to be upside down?
Good things come in Threes

threepot

Never done it,but Haynes says it is possible with engine in frame :icon_biggrin:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

TripleTragic

Cool, thanks threepot. that also matches advice I have had elsewhere (not that I don't trust you blokes...)

Just in case anyone was curious as to what the offending item was. I picked up a piece this morning:

an exploded brake disc from a truck. Pretty happy to not have been there when it let go...

fattires

I replaced mine over the winter, no problem with doing it while the engine is on the bike. I did have to dismantle part of the suspension linkage to get to all the sump bolts.

TripleTragic

Yep, removed, repaired and replaced the sump without a problem(although no oil in it yet...).  Since I have dropped the oil already, I figure I may as well do the chain and sprockets that need doing.

And I still need to replace or repair the link pipes. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any old ones around here and am thinking of dodging up the old ones by removing the balance part of the pipe and then just blanking off the holes.  Has anyone got any experience with doing similar?  My understanding is that it will just make the running a little rougher.