News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

front chain sprocket

Started by nojohn, July 07, 2013, 11:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nojohn

:icon_scratch: just changed chain and sprockets, front sprocket has rubber vulcanised on it, my replacement sprocket does not, does it matter ???

PeteH

Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Yellowtiger99

The rubber was supposed to help quiet the chain noise.  I have been running JT for some time now and have not noticed a difference. 
99 Tiger
74 R90/6

Chris Canning

Must be the original,not many folk will pay for another one of those.

NortonCharlie

I have heard some notice a mild buzzing in the foot pegs without the rubber.  I haven't noticed it myself.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

nojohn

done 300mls on new chain and sprockets and every thing seems ok, although all I have to compare to was old c&s which were total wrecked at 1800 mls  :icon_lol:

NortonCharlie

1800 miles?  I am not overly diligent with chain maintenance and have typically gotten closer to 20,000 miles.  My second chain froze a couple links after a few thousand miles but I am pretty convinced it was a defect in the chain from the factory.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

nojohn

oops !! that should have been 18000 miles :icon_scratch:

atokad

Took counter sprocket cover off to get ready to replace the CS along with the chain and the rear sprocket... and prior to flattening the flange/washer, the counter sprocket nut (36mm)is LOOSE??!?  I can move it a couple mm in either direction.  I bought the bike with 3k miles on it and other than a trip to the dealer at 12k miles for valve check, it hasn't been touched, unless the PO had it in for something in the first 3K miles.

Thoughts?  Never tightened at factory? Something inside give out and push out on the shaft enough to make it loose?? Any potential damage if it has been loose since it left the factory?

Mustang

sometimes it just happens ...................pretty normal .
seen it lot's of times on bikes other than tiggers too.
it will be fine.

atokad