News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Idle speed?

Started by el-cid, July 19, 2013, 08:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el-cid

What should the idle speed be for a '98 Tiger?  I bought one on Tuesday and got it out to ride last evening and it won't idle without a good dose of choke (I am in Montana, but it's not that cold here).  When I have it warmed up a little and the choke off it (tries to) idles at about 1000 rpm.  It had been sitting since last season so I filled it up with some methanol-free unleaded and a can of Seafoam to hopefully clean it up a little too.  It doesn't seem to be a HR lead but if it doesn't run better after a tank of fuel I'll pull the tank and take a look at that.  Thanks!

Mustang

They idle better at 1150 and if it's been standing you will be wasting your time anywhere except removing carbs and giving the jets a thorough cleaning and poking
Especially the pilot circuits

el-cid

Quote from: Mustang on July 19, 2013, 11:31:36 PM
They idle better at 1150 and if it's been standing you will be wasting your time anywhere except removing carbs and giving the jets a thorough cleaning and poking
Especially the pilot circuits

I did bump the idle up to about that just by ear.  Thanks for the recommendation; after I run this tank of fuel through it, I'll pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning.  I did the "spray each pipe once hot" test and it seems to be firing fine on all three cylinders so it's the gunky carbs I'm sure.