News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shinko 150/70R17 or 140/80H17 ?

Started by ssevy, July 20, 2013, 06:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

Having read all of the threads I can find about tire recommendations, I think the Shinko 705s sound perfect for my first replacement. The current tires on the bike were put on by the previous owner a long time ago, and are harder than the hubs of hell. The Shinko 110/80R 19 is a radial, but the recommended 140/80 17 appears to be only bias ply. The 150/70R 17 is the only size that is radial that I can find, so do I go with the correct factory sizes and mix a radial and a bias ply (which I understand is not a good thing), or do I go with the radials instead both front and rear?

I did just read Mustang's response regarding the knobbies in the other recent post, but am not sure if that also applies here?

One more question - tube sizes are listed in a hodgepodge of numbers. Any recommendations for how to sort my way through the numbers to find the correct sizes for the tires?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

el-cid

I'm curious about this too; the stock front size is available bias or radial, and you can bump the rear up to get a radial but like you said, the stock size is bias only.  I'm looking at getting a set of 705s too (and I'm not really happy with the vague feeling at speed now) and I'm not sure whether to go with a pair of bias or a pair of radials.

Advwannabe

150 seems to be the magic size for fat arsed adventure bikes, 955 Tigers, BMTroubleyous, Deros, etc etc all seem to run the 150s. The steamer is a victim of its smaller rim.

Triple Tragic is running Heidi K60 scouts on his steamer with plenty of availability in the 140s
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

ssevy

I took a chance and ordered the 150 radial, as I want to get some riding in this season. I'll post up any revelations.

HeavyHustler

Quote from: ssevy on July 21, 2013, 05:55:26 PM
I took a chance and ordered the 150 radial, as I want to get some riding in this season. I'll post up any revelations.

Can't wait!  Make sure you take some pics!

ssevy

The 150 fits fine. These tires are made in Korea and look every bit as good out of the mold as the Pilot Road 3s I have on my Legend.

HeavyHustler

Looks good!  Kep us updated with tread life, handling etc.