News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Greetings from Canada

Started by DavidR8, July 26, 2013, 06:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidR8

Hey everyone, brand new to the forum. I've had my 06 BlueCat for about a week. I traded an 09 Bonneville T100 straight across for a mint 06, 18k on the clock with full factory luggage and heated grips.

So far I've emptied one tank (just shy of 40 mpg) which is better than I was getting on my Bonnie. The 955 engine is amazing. This is my first litre-class bike so I have no comparison but wow, that is some kind of torque.

Here she is:
2006 Girly, stone stock!

John Stenhouse

Welcome to the party, grab a beer and browse
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

birddogone

Congratulations,  :thumbsup she sure looks familiar!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

Montydog

JTT

Nice!  :thumbsup  Welcome to the asylum
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

aeronca

Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Sin_Tiger

Congratulations.

You must have given the T100 some serious thrashing  :bug_eye good man :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

DavidR8

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 01, 2013, 09:10:58 AM
Congratulations.

You must have given the T100 some serious thrashing  :bug_eye good man :thumbsup

Aye, it was ridden not babied. Might be a bit before I feel comfortable on the Cat to push as hard as I did on the Bonnie.
2006 Girly, stone stock!

blacktiger

Quote from: DavidR8 on August 21, 2013, 09:12:16 AM
Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 01, 2013, 09:10:58 AM
Congratulations.

Aye, it was ridden not babied. Might be a bit before I feel comfortable on the Cat to push as hard as I did on the Bonnie.

The beauty of the Tiger is that you don't need to thrash it to make good progress. e.g. I rarely rev higher than 6K which gives a good mid to high 50s UKmpg.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

DavidR8

True enough Blacktiger. I did almost 200 miles on Sunday, rode fast but didn't twist it that hard. Wound up with a trip average of 48 mpg. They way it worked out I did exactly 1% city and 99% highway on that fill.

It might be worth noting that I'm at sea level so the mixture might be richer than someone riding at 3,000 ft.

I topped 40 mpg once in four years on my Bonnie. Chatted online with some folks who claimed they see 50+ mpg on their Bonnies all the time.
2006 Girly, stone stock!

Bixxer Bob

Altitude won't affect it, the ECU monitors atmospheric pressure in the airbox and adjusts the fuel injection accordingly. :icon_wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

50+  :icon_scratch: was that the Triumph Granny forum?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on August 27, 2013, 11:02:32 AM
Altitude won't affect it, the ECU monitors atmospheric pressure in the airbox and adjusts the fuel injection accordingly. :icon_wink:

I think it does actually. I always get better mpg in the mountains. As the air thins and has less oxygen, the EFI will squirt less fuel in. You do, of course, get a corresponding drop in performance.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Ok, I wasn't clear, I meant altitude won't affect the MIXTURE (which is what we were taking about in that sentence) as the ECU compensates for the thinner air.

Higher altitude always means lower power (ever watched the DAKAR??) but I'm not sure how MPG improves.  Nitbsaying it can't, just I'd have to look at the FI maps to see why.  Cruising at 5000 rpm with less fuel going in because of the thinned air means the calculated load is higher and so a different part of the map is used compared with lower altitude. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

DavidR8

Quote from: blacktiger on August 29, 2013, 09:03:20 PM
Quote from: Bixxer Bob on August 27, 2013, 11:02:32 AM

I think it does actually. I always get better mpg in the mountains. As the air thins and has less oxygen, the EFI will squirt less fuel in. You do, of course, get a corresponding drop in performance.

Just to pile on this idea, my fuel mileage is less when the air temperature is low. I attribute this to the colder, denser air requiring more fuel in order to maintain the appropriate air/fuel ratio.

But I could be dead wrong!
2006 Girly, stone stock!