News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

loose feeling front end

Started by Alan Spears, July 29, 2013, 05:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Spears

My 02 feels very "loose", I do not have any feel for the road from the handlebars. Feels like i'm riding on a sandy surface at slower speeds. I have played around a little with the fork height (lowered in the clamps 1/2 inch) didn't do much if anything. 6'2" 225lbs  stiffer rate springs than stock.
Any help would be appreciated

Chris Canning

How long has it been like that and is the preload on the rear on 5

Alan Spears

I suspect it has been like this for a while, I just realized how loose it was after I rode a friends tiger. We cannot find any obvious difference in the setup. The rear preload is on 4

JTT

Have you checked the basics, like wheel bearings and steering head bearings?  Tire pressures?  When was the oil in the forks last changed?  Is there any in there?  I know it sounds stupid, but....
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Chris Canning

One of the biggest problems is each individual rider has different feel on a bike or non at all,you see plenty of posts about guys using good quality fuel and the difference it makes and yet others can't tell,it's a little worrying as you have had to ride another bike to find out!!.

Start at the basics,tyres/pressure/wheel bearings front and back.

When you dropped the fork through 1/2" it's a lot that's night and day and you really should be able to tell the difference,I digress did you check the head bearings for play???.

Re forks and shock when did you do the forks was it recent?,with springs and oil you have pitched the front of the bike up and having it set on 4 :icon_eek: I set mine on 5 the day it came out of the shop I'm under 170, a combo of the shocks age and your 225lbs it's a recipe for building a chopper with all the weight at the back,oh and do you have the compression/rebound on max because it will just pogo otherwise

If the forks are still set at 1/2" and the shock is at 5 and it's still wandering either the shock is knackered or the head bearings are.

Alan Spears

Do you typically get the loose feeling with the front end high or low?

Chris Canning

If the front end is high then there's no weight on the front and the bike will wandering about but you will get the same feeling if the head bearinsg are kaput.

Alan Spears

I guess the next question would be what is the best way to determine if the head bearings are bad?

Chris Canning

If your asking questions like I'd respectfully suggest you take it to a dealer,alternatively put the bike on the center stand get a.n.other to sit on the pillion to get the front wheel off the floor(or car jack and block of wood under rhe headers) and then check for movement on the forks,at the risk of pointing out the obvious that's front to back not side to side  :icon_wink:

JTT

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 30, 2013, 04:15:56 PM
If your asking questions like I'd respectfully suggest you take it to a dealer,alternatively put the bike on the center stand get a.n.other to sit on the pillion to get the front wheel off the floor(or car jack and block of wood under rhe headers) and then check for movement on the forks,at the risk of pointing out the obvious that's front to back not side to side  :icon_wink:
To add to Chris' wise advise, also slowly turn the bars side to side, with the wheel off the ground, looking for any "notchy" feeling, as these bearings will wear in one place creating a sort of "dent" in the bearing.

While you got the wheel up, grab the tire top and bottom and try twisting it side to side looking for movement in the wheel bearing.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Alan Spears

The bearings appear to be fine, no movement when I put pressure on the forks. The front ends is very smooth when turning side to side (lifted with stand). Should there be any resistance when turning side to side? The forks will flop from one side to the other with little effort.

Chris Canning

Have you maxed the preload to 5 and the compression/rebound the same,are the forks still at 1/2" through the yokes?

You say you have ridden your friends tiger has he ridden yours??

daveb

what condition is the front tyre in, one of my bike (Yamaha TDM850)  the front end went vague, turns out the front tyre triangulated, so as I turned in -  no front end feel and the bike felt like it was drifting. Changed the tyre problem went away.

could the front tyre be cupped. high at the front of the pattern and lower at the rear of the tread pattern.?
some pictures on here http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=64.0

Chris Canning

It could be a single or the sum of several problems,but with a guy in English speak of 16st of bike with a shock that's 11 years old not set on max preload so you can bet your bottom dollar neither is the compression/rebound all compounded with a stiff front end of new springs and oil,has all the makings of a bike Peter Fonda would be proud of,when it's supposed to sloping the other way.

And I have to say I have had the same problem over the years because I've been after that magic feel when two up and a pile of kit so mine even with all the gear on steers like a mini moto and there's no need for a sea sick pill,and the difference between the two is stiffer spring and a few turns on the preload oh and some re-valving.

PeteH

Quote from: Alan Spears on July 31, 2013, 03:13:32 PM
Should there be any resistance when turning side to side? The forks will flop from one side to the other with little effort.

The forks should move freely side to side without flopping :icon_study:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour