News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Starter prob

Started by abell, February 28, 2005, 04:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abell

Went out and did 250 very cold miles on my 2005 on Saturday. Halfway through the day I found that when I push the starter button, instead of the usual whirr, I'm getting a clattering noise.

Runs fine once it does start, no problems there. Any ideas? Anyone experienced this? Starter motor?

Cheers

Adam
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

Dick Boyer

Let the dealer handle that one under warranty. Could be expensive.

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Dick Boyer"Let the dealer handle that one under warranty. Could be expensive.

+1

abell

I will indeed be letting the dealer handle it under warranty. But what makes you think it might be expensive?
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

Mudhen

It seems in '05 they not only went with cast wheels and a shorter rake...they also went back to the much superior single bolt alternator shaft and sprag clutch...did they put in an access plate so you can replace it without splitting the case?   :roll:

Good luck, dude.  What dealer do you use?
\'96 Steamer

Slim Dave

I understood all of that right up to "...much superior ..." :)

abell

>did they put in an access plate so you can replace it

>without splitting the case?

Don't ask me.

I bought this bike from North River. My Daytona came from Great Bay. I use Performance Cycles a lot for service.

Generally I like GBMC but I'll see how responsive North River are to my current need.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

NortonCharlie

The starter sprag is easily accessable on the new 955 motor.  That is the only 955 motor ever put into the tiger.  All other Triumphs had the new 955 motor by 2002 I believe.  The old 955 motors have a sight glass to check the oil.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

abell

Didn't the Tiger get the previous-gen 955 engine in 2001?
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

NortonCharlie

QuoteDidn't the Tiger get the previous-gen 955 engine in 2001?

No, the Tiger got the new generation 955 from the start.  I believe it was the 1st Triumph to get it.  I have an 01 955 and it is new generation (with the dip stick) unless there were some even earlier than mine.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

abell

I don't know to be honest.

I was looking at this page and it looked like the previous generation engine.

http://www.hermys.com/triumph/tiger/2001/
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

zombie

Hey Adam , what's up with your starter problem ??

abell

Not sure yet Mick, I will have the blokes at Salem take a look this weekend. If you ask me it's a dying starter motor but I'm not sure.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

abell

Further to the starter problem -

Turns out a fault with the sprag clutch chipped a tooth off the starter motor gear. Both will be replaced under warranty.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

zombie

cool beans Adam

By the way are you taking the tiger up to camp mede this year??