News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine Noise

Started by TR5TRIDER, September 13, 2013, 06:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR5TRIDER

Esteemed listers,
I recently replaced alternator shaft with the upgrade parts T122-0800 (thru bolt type) this solved the DAR problem only to reveal still another knocking / clacking noise that can be heard from the right side of the engine and is very pronounced at idle. Using a long screwdriver as a stethascope to find the source of this knock/clack I hear it on the right side of the engine from down low at the timing / end of crankshaft all the way up o the valve cover.  It is definitely louder and heavier sounding at the top of the head, closest to the rubber gaskets near the cam sprockets.  Further it is louder at the exhaust cam side. I am also hearing a slight whirring sound after revving engine and as it returns to idle might indicate timing chain slack and rubbing on plastic guides. Previous owner provided service invoice indicating a valve adjust this just some hundreds of miles ago. Bike presently at 32,000 mi.
I recently bought this bike from the Houston area and believe some of you may recall a youtube video () of this '96 red Tiger with Louisiana plates in Houston Texas. It has been reported by previous owner to have had the cams stolen while off the bike for valve adjust, the bike was sold by that owner to the one that I purchased it from. I believe there has been some fictional representation of what has taken place in the history of this bike.  This only to explain why I am unable to provide any history such as the cams being other than original or even the heads. I am wanting to get this bike back in shape for reliable road tripping. Any suggestions as to what the knock/clack might be and any solutions to same would be appreciated.. I enjoy to ride this bike the engine characteristics (excepting the knock) suit me well. If the fix is not cost effective then I will move the bike on and find another. 
Thanks,
Rider

ned37

pull the cam chain tensioner and see how many clicks are left on the plunger.  may be time for a new chain?
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Mustang

the stolen cam story has me wondeing if you no longer have the original cam caps for the head .

head is line bored for the cams and the original caps are very important to be on the head in the locations they were manufactured in . otherwise it is entirely possible to have a cam "knock"

even if they are the originals but not in their proper locations it could cause a knock .

akendall1966

Or cam caps loose had a bike where they had been left a little under finger tight made an odd tap rap tap sound. Some people just should not be sold tools::)
----AK-----

TR5TRIDER

Thanks for that, I was wondering if there is a way to exert additional pressure temporarily, while the engine is running, and if that would identify the chain as the problem by silencing the knock/clack?  I am going to continuing ed this weekend & will check tensioner when I get back and report.

Rider

TR5TRIDER

Quote from: Mustang on September 13, 2013, 08:47:30 PM
the stolen cam story has me wondeing if you no longer have the original cam caps for the head .

head is line bored for the cams and the original caps are very important to be on the head in the locations they were manufactured in . otherwise it is entirely possible to have a cam "knock"

even if they are the originals but not in their proper locations it could cause a knock .

Mustang,
The possibility is probable and as I have never had a response from the seller that lost the cams I don't expect any info from that quarter. I don't think that I can find any reliable information as to the caps though feel fairly certain that the cams are used replacements. If it turns out the knock is resulting from mismatched head, caps & cams is there a solution as to reboring and fitting inserts, which sounds pricey. Used head complete?

Thanks

Mustang

A new head or an eBay head that has original caps

ssevy

I'm sorry that you ended up having a problem with this bike. I was the original potential buyer who asked for the video to hear it run. You may find the post where I asked the experts on here for their take on it. The owner told me he bought it for $900 just to flip it, and he wasn't willing to get the correct title for it, etc., etc., etc. I was going to fly in to Houston from upstate NY to ride it home, and wanted to get all the mechanical and legal paperwork issues corrected before doing so, and therefore I had to back out when he wouldn't do that. My last correspondence with him was to suggest that he get everything corrected on the bike before he sold it, set the price accordingly, and then sell it knowing that he hadn't screwed somebody in the process. He never responded to that one.
I'm mentioning this just to provide some additional info if you didn't already have it about the history. He told me the same story about finding some used camshafts and having his "ace" mechanic install them. It was a very nice looking bike, and had it been closer I would have pursued it further. I'm sure you will be able to get it sorted one way or the other, and it should be a great bike when you do. It is frustrating when a seller does something like this, whether deliberately or just out of ignorance of what he is selling. Good luck getting it sorted!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

TR5TRIDER

Ssevy,

Thanks for the information regarding this bike and previous owner. The stories are all over the place. You were told similar story to that which I heard, the theme was similar but the detailed information varies greatly. I would not think much of it reliable.  So, I am proceeding with investigation as time permits. Just completed 2 weekends of the Dreaded Continuing Ed. & therefore have not had time to pull cam cover, etc. now getting  it together for AHRMA at Barber Motorsports in October; probably will not get back to the patient till after that.  Thanks for the encouragement and I am not discouraged at this time. We shall see.

Rider