News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sticking throttle

Started by Bixxer Bob, August 25, 2013, 07:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Got round to sorting the sticky throttle yesterday.  First observation: the throttle cable is not PTFE lined, nor is the genuine Triumph replacement, so oiling it is a good idea.  You do not oil lined cables.

Next, once oiled, there was nothing wrong with the cable so I have a brand new spare on the shelf.  The biggest issue was the twist grip itself.  It's funny how you don't notice gradual deterioration until something brings it to your attention.  Until I had problems with tickover I hadn't really noticed the twistgrip action was a bit rough.  If you are doing yours, just be careful with the heated grip cable; it would be easy to damage it as you take the grip off.  Once off, it was a matter of cleaning the bar and the inside of the twistgrip tube.  White spirit or a bit of petrol (BE CAREFUL, petrol and electrics are not good partners) will do.   Once clean, lubricate the tube and the collar where the twistgrip fits in the switch / cable housing.  I used red rubber grease.  It only needs a light smear, don't go daft.  Too much will only gather dirt.  Finally, re-assemble.  Test to make sure nothing is sticking and you're done. :icon_biggrin:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...