News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

can anyone tell me what this connector is please

Started by ram33, September 08, 2013, 09:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ram33

as title
this connector is under the tailpiece next to fuse box on tiger 885
i thought it maybe be for optional alarm? but the wire colours dont seem to match the haynes manual
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Bixxer Bob

Looks like the alarm plug, which will have 12 wires.  Are you sure you're looking at the right diagram in the Haynes (mine's down the garage so can't look tonight). Colours are about right for the Triumph manual for the wires I can see.  There should be 2 x green,  3 x green/red, 1 x red, 1 x red/white, 1 x green/white, 2 x green/black, 1 x yellow, 1 x grey.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ram33

thanks for the reply
my haynes manual says wiring tiger 1995-on
2xred
1xgreen
2xblack
2xb/w
1xwhite
1xr/w
1xblack looped into 2 pins
mine is 1998 i think
it too dark to see now but im sure there was only 1 green wire?
ill recheck colours and how many wires tomorrow
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Bixxer Bob

Ah sorry my mistake,  I'm looking at the 885i early 955i diagram  :icon_redface:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

akendall1966

Yep - Alarm plug, you can grab a copy of the steam service manual here http://www.kendalla.f2s.com/manual/Triumph%20Tiger%20up%20to%20VIN%2071698.pdf from memory wiring diagram was correct on colours form mine 98 Steamer.
----AK-----

ram33

thanks for confirming that
as the bike isnt yet running i wanted to make sure more isnt wrong with it than i already suspect
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Bixxer Bob

Not up on steamers, but does it not need a bypass plug if the alarm isn't fitted?   All the later Triumphs do..... :icon_scratch:

akendall1966

Hi John,

Not on that plug, see the attach snip from the official wiring diagram there are 2 plugs one at the tail and one at the nose. Designed to plug the alarm unit into the tail (49) and the sounder into the nose (48). The one in the nose has a plug with the loop back on it. Which is part of the side stand / clutch switch cut out. the same wires go to 49 so you can use it to immobilize if you cut the loop on (48). Trouble is most alarms are designed for modern ECUs and pull the line up or down on the ECU to disable starting. For a steamer you need an alarm with a switch in it to make break that loop like having the side stand permanently down.

AK

----AK-----

Bixxer Bob

Cheers AK, makes sense. I've only dealt with Datatool's plug and pray incendiary device.......

London_Phil

Now you know this, Just promise not to come round and nick our bikes please!!!! ( and me, from London..tsk tsk)