News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Adaptation discussion Pt 2

Started by metalguru, September 08, 2013, 01:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

BB.
Have you looked at the TPS voltage? If it is more than .68-.69 it is toast. May have even popped the Throttle body gasket.
Seem to remember you replacing the TPS some time ago???
Reset Adaptation has changed slightly, may be worth a read, gave mine a tune up today and it's back to comfy slippers!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Adaptation, read it where? :icon_scratch:

Bloody thing tried to kill me with a corrupt map load.  1.5 to 2 second delay between shutting the throttle and the ECU cutting the revs, but only on full engine load.  Didn't do it on part load settings.  Delay was just long enough to think. "Shiiiittt!!! Throttle jam..."
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Taken from TuneEcu map edit.

Reset Adaption Triumph-Sagem-Lambda-models only

1. Ensure bike is seeing a closed throttle position (CTP)
2. Bike in Neutral
3. Coolant temperature between 80-96°C
4. Minimum air box temperature of 21°C
5. Now with clutch pulled, blip the throttle to 3000 RPM and let it drop back to idle for at least 30 seconds,
    all with the clutch lever pulled in.

Check bike is adapted by viewing Lambda Fuel. Figures should be "toggling" +4 to -4

Don't forgot to check IACV steps are 20 - 35

How has the map corrupted?
This sounds like a new serious problem that hasn't been reported.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

Firstly,  that adaptation is what the dealer should have been doing to all new bikes to trim them before they were delivered. I suspect a lot weren't.   I put it up as an alternative to the 12 min tune ages ago, but hadn't known at that time that it was instead of the 12 min tune, not as well as.   It's taken a long time to filter down to everyone else.  Have a look in the stickies, I updated them a couple of weeks back.

Next, it won't work if the map has been frigged to stop it going closed loop.  The voltage will swing, but it's not doing anything because the ECU isn't looking at it.  The swinging is in response to the ECU jumping between cells in the map (which it does even if the throttle isn't touched, it hops one or two cells in each direction as it chunters away on tickover) and thus changing the mix.  I can see this in Tuneboy, not sure if you can in TuneECU. 

I've started on a completely new map based on this new knowledge, but haven't gotten round to putting it in the bike yet.

The throttle issue was partly my fault.  I got a checksum error when I loaded the map (twice) using the new Tuneboy software.  I checked the connections and the map in the ECU and it all looked good, couldn't find anything wrong and so took it for a spin.  The error wasn't in the fuel map, I think it was in the base map.  Anyway, until I'm sure the next map loads cleanly and I've done a few miles, I'll be very careful where I open the taps and have my hand on the clutch all the way.

And waved my magic wand to sort the hijack!!  :hat10

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Aaah yes sorry for the hi-jack, just thought it may have been something serious that could be widespread.  :notworthy

The only variation I have seen in TECU is the revs alternating up and down on idle as they do between 12-1500 rpm. Although after a tune up recently the idle is far more stable.

I fear there is an inaccuracy in the IACV settings quoted in the TECU text as these are individual to each bike and those settings will stall the engine.

Certainly a good idea to open loop at lower revs and speed but have run closed loop for economy further up the map. ie 50mpg(uk) at 90mph in figures = 14:50 on revs v %load, can send the map if you would like to peruse, as had a lot of success with this map, no surging, excellent power and good economy, open the taps often the economy goes but the power is strong throughout range.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

Yup, bring it on, and your settings too. No point re-inventing the wheel.   :thumbsup

metalguru

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers