News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

coolant leak '99

Started by barjan, March 05, 2005, 03:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barjan

I hoped I was lucky enough not to experience this common problem...

Almost 60.000 km but in for a probably costly overhaul.

I noticed a tiny drop in coolant level and since we had snow and cold temperatures last week, I put a bucket underneath the tiger. I shows a blue liquid..  :cry:

t6flyer

I just noticed the same thing on my 99 while doing my 24K service.  This will be the second time the head gasket has leaked; Triumph has a systemic problem.  So today I get to tear the whole thing apart and order parts.

Since I have it half apart in my garage, I will do all the work myself.  Has anyone taken the head off and cylinder liners out?  Are there any pitfalls to avoid?

This is the only motorcycle I have ever had in my 30 years of riding that the head gasket leaked not to mention twice.  

](*,)

DJ

whoa

When I noticed my leak, I cleaned the cases very well and went out for a good ride.  Then it was much easier to tell where the leak was coming from.

I also posted on triumphrat that the head was removed and machined instead of just replacing gaskets.  The problem was resolved by the machine work.

Kill Switch

My 99 leaks in weather below 50 degrees farenheit.  I was hoping it wasn't the headgasket.  Now I am not too sure.  However, here in Florida in the warm weather (above 50F) - no leaks.  For mine at least there is a temperature variable.

barjan

I think the outsite temperature influence is a sure fact. I noticed the first signs of a leak in the recent cold temperatures (dropped to -15 oC one night (5 oF???)) I hope it stops now the temperature goes up, so I can wait for the service (will be a big one). I cannot let it be, because in 8 months or so winter comes back again..... :evil:

Kill Switch

BTW...leak stops after engine is warm.  Minimal amount of fluid loss.

knarf

Quote from: "Kill Switch"BTW...leak stops after engine is warm.  Minimal amount of fluid loss.

mmmm... Common problem or design flaw ???
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

99Tiger

My 99 tiger also had a leaking head gasket in the middle on the rear side at about 20 months old.  I took it in and the dealer replaced the head gasket and I haven't had that problem again.  It may be a good idea to check the head bolts every so often.  I will check mine again this next week when I do my first valve adjustment at almost 25000 US. miles.  Other than that problem and a problem getting the starter motor to work every time I hit the start switch, she is running stronger every day, or so it seems.

I am going to make my own valve adjusting tool so if it turns out good I will sell it to someone else after I,m done.

Cheers,

Keith
Real and lasting Peace of mind is found only in God

06 Tiger

Too many to list

Kill Switch

Quote from: "99Tiger"My 99 tiger also had a leaking head gasket in the middle on the rear side at about 20 months old.  I took it in and the dealer replaced the head gasket and I haven't had that problem again.  It may be a good idea to check the head bolts every so often.  I will check mine again this next week when I do my first valve adjustment at almost 25000 US. miles.  Other than that problem and a problem getting the starter motor to work every time I hit the start switch, she is running stronger every day, or so it seems.

I am going to make my own valve adjusting tool so if it turns out good I will sell it to someone else after I,m done.

Cheers,

Keith

I have the same problem with the starter switch on my 99.  Starts after a few seconds after lifting the kickstand.

barjan

Quote from: "99Tiger"...Other than that problem and a problem getting the starter motor to work every time I hit the start switch...

Ah, seems to be a common problem too? Noticed it for the first time last summer when it wouldn't react on the starter switch while in neutral. I guess it's some faulty electrics in the starter switch or in the clutch switch. Only happens occasionally. I don't know how the clutch switch works (it's behind the hand guard), but if it's anything like the sidestand switch, it will probably just be dirty. I should look into it some time.

Btw, the tiger spun fine last week, so she doesn't suffer from some coolant loss....... yet.

t6flyer

You cannot "check the torque" on the head bolts without completely taking all the tension off each bolt.  The factory procedure has you set an intermediate torque setting with a standard torque wrench and then finsh with an angular torque wrench turning each bolt 90 degrees to reach the desired tension on the stretch head bolt.

The engine is not too hard to work on but some special tools are required.  The factory manual is not very good; many of the directions and illustrations are incorrect or difficult to understand.

dj

Chris Canning

My first 900 that i bought in 99 did exactly the same thing with less than 500 miles on the clock,the dealer offered to rebuild it, I refused and we(Triumph and I) came to a financial agreement and i bought a new (another) it's a common problem on the first injection models hence when my warranty was up with my second one,i bought a 955.

Chris

lwad

Looks like I have the same problem on my 99 Tiger. :(

I'm not mechanically minded but apparently the symtons definately point to the head gasket:

- coolant in overflow resorvoir was low

- after refilling coolant, it was low again after a 40 minute ride

- what coolant was left looked dark

- there is not sign of coolant under the bike when it's parked (although the bike is covered in winter dirt at the moment so I can't tell if there's coolant over anywhere else. - it will be cleaned very soon)

I've booked the bike into Alfs in a fortnights time, but I'm expecting the worst.

The funny part (?) is that I swapped a Vor 503 SM for the Tiger cos I wanted a reliable bike to ride every day.  I never had any serious problems with the VOR :roll:

Bruincounselor

I hate to revive an old topic but I have a question:

Out in the garage yesterday I noticed a puddle under the sleeping Tiger. Closer inspection revealed coolant leaking from the upper engine case (probably the head).  It's an 885 EFI that's still under warrantee. I have had all service done in a relatively timely manner.

Does Triumph cover this problem? Should I have the head machined or is this unnecessary?

Thanks,

Bruincounselor

Frigid in Fargo
Bruin\'

apache

Man, that really sucks guys. I understand your frustration as my truck is currently doint the same thing, so far my Tiger is oK.

Has anybody looked into coolant compatibility with Triumphs gaskets? Do any of you recall the issues Toyota had with early V6 engine head gasket failures?Ive heard it was from the coolant eating the gaskets and causing failures. Ive also hear the "lifetime" coolants are incompatible with some stuff. Personally Ive never seen blue coolant like triumph uses. I flushed my 97`s system out and run "silica free type bike coolant" from maxium of?? just plain old green stuff. Hope Triumph makes it right for those with warranty left.